Processing through Writing

Friday, November 11, 2016 1 Comments A+ a-


I have been processing this election since I heard the official results at 3:00am on Wednesday morning. Before I continue, I need to mention that he was not my candidate. Neither was I with her. In my humble opinion, the two parties presented us with horrific, corrupt, morally bankrupt candidates. In my humble opinion, it was a lose-lose situation and I was tired of voting for the lesser of two evils. So I took my vote elsewhere.

I'm trying to see both sides of this situation, and I'm trying to still see the good in my fellow man. I know there are folks who voted for him based solely on the divisive things he said and promised. But I don't know those people personally. While I couldn't stomach the idea of voting for him, I know there were people who were more afraid of her than him. And I think if we're honest, a majority of people voted for her, out of fear of him. I'm not so naive to believe racism, misogyny, and xenophobia doesn't exist. I know it's out there, and it breaks my heart. But as I look around me, I cannot apply those labels liberally and without evidence on my neighbors, friends, families, and coworkers. Whether you want to admit it or not, WE all put Trump in office. Neither party presented us with a choice that deserves the highest office. We created this maelstrom, and now my question to you is, what are we going to do about it?

We don't know what he's going to do in office. Did he mean the hateful and divisive things he said? Or was it more political rhetoric to get the vote? We don't know yet. But based on the things he said and promised during his campaign, we HAVE to understand that there is legitimate and genuine fear in those around us. We don't have the right to dismiss those fears. If you are not afraid of what Trump will do in office, then you are not one of the groups that he promised to deport or keep out by building a wall. If it's not political rhetoric and he truly intends to fulfill those promises, then we have a responsibility to stand between the crazy man and our neighbors, and promise, "Not on our watch." You may not have cast your vote for him, but how you react and choose to respond IS on you. Do you tuck tail and run to another country? Or will you stay and fight for the marginalized?

I believe a time of reckoning has come for our country. How we respond will speak volumes to those around us and I, for one, am choosing to believe in mankind. It may be naive, it may seem foolish, but I'm going to choose to believe that there is good in this world, in this country, in my fellow man, and that somehow we'll find our way back. Together.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Peter Janelle
AUTHOR
1:25 PM delete

Love your wisdom and compassion in these words. I'm with you 100%. Much love my friend.

Reply
avatar