Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Its Back to Work I Go

Wednesday, March 30, 2016 3 Comments A+ a-

On March 25, 2010, I submitted my resignation to become a stay-at-home mom. Then on March 25, 2016, exactly six years later and one job offer later, I completed new employee paperwork. And to make it even more ironic, I’m returning to the same place I worked for eleven years. 


In early March, in the midst of a social media fast,I randomly checked my FB account.  (Truth be told, I clicked on the link accidentally.)  I noticed a message from a former coworker of mine, saying she wanted to run something by me and asked if I could give her a call. Intrigued, I gave her a call and we discussed some issues that the department was having, and she wondered if I’d be open to coming back to work, on a temporary, part-time basis. What she needed involved a couple of different hats: graphic design, public relations, marketing, and web development. In a nutshell, it was the job of my dreams! 

Jon and I spent the next three weeks discussing this opportunity. We sought counsel from family and friends, we prayed about it, we had family meetings, and essentially, everything was coming back in the affirmative. The kids were on board as long as I could drop them off at school and pick them up, and with the flexibility that I’m being given, will allow for that. Jon is thrilled that I’m getting the opportunity and I feel so supported in saying yes. 

Six years ago, I said that it felt like God was strategically moving around chess pieces so that I could quit my job to stay-at-home with little ones. And before I ever received a FB message, I told Jon that the things that were taking place in our own lives and at his job felt eerily similar to 2010. Weeks later and I find myself still amazed at this new direction He’s taking us.


I start work on Monday, and I’m nervous and terrified, and so, so excited. Six years is a long time to be out of the workforce, and truth be told, we had no plans for me to go back to work any time soon. The Lord knew it would have to be the perfect job and opportunity, and He provided it. Even the details for childcare have fallen seamlessly into place. We feel so fortunate to have family and friends who love my children as much as they do. 

But please, please keep us in your thoughts and prayers during these next few weeks. As exciting as this is, I know there’s going to be a transition period and there will be a few bumps to iron out. I asked Hudson the other day if he had any concerns about me returning to work, and his reply left a goofy grin on my face. “Nah, as long as you still pick me from school, I don’t care. Oh, and as long as you have fun too.” Kid, I couldn’t have said it better myself.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
5:50 AM delete

Best wishes! Praying for your family and this new transition. I'm sure it will be a big change, but a good one! How exciting that it all fell into place so seamlessly for you. It's all working out in His perfect timing.

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
8:38 PM delete

Aww congratulations and good wishes for this new opportunity. It sounds exciting. Prayers for you all during this new adventure.

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
10:27 AM delete

Congrats Jenn! I hope it goes great!

Reply
avatar