Veggie Crack

Tuesday, September 08, 2015 0 Comments A+ a-

I’m going to rue the day that my friend, Lynn, introduced our family to Veggie Crack. I fully underestimated the addiction factor on this particular side dish.

IMG_20150907_144842

She told me to search Pinterest for the recipe and I found the original recipe here.  I added a few different ingredients and it was still a hit at a barbeque yesterday.

VEGGIE CRACK
2 cans black beans
1 can of garbanzo beans
1 can of canned corn
2 red bell peppers, diced
1/2 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
2 avocados, chopped

Dressing:
2 teaspoons salt
2 cloves minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lime zest (be sure to zest limes before juicing them)
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice (I used 2 limes)
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon onion powder

  1. Rinse the beans and corn, place in a bowl.
  2. Dice the red bell peppers, place in bowl.
  3. Add the chopped cilantro and the chopped avocados.
  4. Make the vinaigrette dressing, be sure to zest the limes first.
  5. Pour over the beans, pepper, corn, and avocados.
  6. Place in the fridge for a few hours or overnight.  The longer it has time to marinate, the spicier it gets.  Trust me.
Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.