She turns 95 today.

Monday, September 07, 2015 1 Comments A+ a-

We come by our desire to document our days honestly.  Before social media even existed, Grandma Rose was perfecting the art of “smile and say cheese.”  I can’t tell you how many times we’d be at a family function, or even just visiting Grandma, and she’d whip out her disposal camera and say, “Let me take a picture.”  I have no doubt that if Grandma had a smart phone, she’d be a part of the digital age.  And I can’t begin to express my appreciation for all the pictures taken in her time.  Its always bittersweet to walk down memory lane based on the photos lining her kitchen wall.

She turns 95 years old today.  Ninety five.  Wow.  There is so much wisdom to be shared from those 95 years, and I often walk away from a conversation with her, having a problem solved.  Or at least a better understanding of where to go from here.

Collage1 
Grandma Rose is one in a million, and I often say that everyone should have a Grandma Rose in their life.  From pictures and scriptures and drawings from grandchildren and great-grandchildren lining her kitchen walls.  To her desire to make sure you never leave her house hungry, rustling through her fridge to offer you at least four or five different meals.  To her love of reading and always offering to lend you the latest book she read, or a book that pertains to your current situation.  To her amazing prayer life.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve come to her with a request for prayer or even a problem I’m having, and the first words she utters are either “Have you prayed about it yet?” or “Let’s pray together. Right now.”

I have never met a woman with more energy, a desire to help, or always available with a listening ear.  She has never met a stranger, not one.  It never fails, she’ll be visiting and a friend will come over, one whom she’s never met before, and within an hour, Grandma will have the friend’s life story and will more than likely be promising to pray for them.  I’ve stopped being shocked when I find out something new about a friend from Grandma Rose.  “What?” she’ll say. “I asked her and she told me.”

We celebrated her life yesterday.  It was my 36th birthday and once again, Grandma shared the story of my birth with me.  “I told your mother,” she said, “to wait just a few more hours.  Just three more hours and you could’ve been born on my birthday.”  She paused, and grabbed my hand, “But things weren’t going well and I decided that it was a better idea for you to have your own day.  Your grandmother, dad, and I went to the hospital chapel and we prayed for your mother during that c-section.”  I’ve asked before if she was scared during the surgery and she always looks at me with shock.  “What? No way, honey, I knew God was in control.”

Collage2

Grandma Rose had seven children, four boys and three girls.  When she calls to talk and tries to apologize for bothering me because I’m so busy, I often laugh and remind her that she did this seven times.  She shrugs off my explanation and will say, “Honey, I remember those days.  It doesn’t matter if its seven or four or two, those babies need you and its hard work.”  And from those seven children, she has 21 grandchildren and 33 great-children.  Its an amazing legacy, truly.

I don’t know how many more birthdays we’ll have with her, but she’s said that she’s going to live to be 107 years old.  And truthfully, I believe she can make it.  She is an inspiration and if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a hundred times.  I want to be her when I grow up.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
~Sue
AUTHOR
9:08 AM delete

Lovely tribute to your Grandma. How appropriate to want to be like her! Happy 36 and 95! Blessings to both Grandma Rose and you on the new year ahead of you.

Reply
avatar