Chickens, Oils, and Eggs

Thursday, September 17, 2015 1 Comments A+ a-

At some point this past year, my life took a weird turn.  I’ve never figured myself to be an all-natural and livestock keeping kind of woman, but that’s exactly where I deviated.

IMG_20150917_150051

Last November, after a three-week run of the flu, I’d had it.  Between the hacking, the coughing, the vomiting, and the sharing of germs back-n-forth, I was willing to try anything!  I accepted a friend’s invitation to a doTerra presentation, and this time around, I actually listened to the testimonials. We’d had success using doTerra’s Deep Blue Rub for Jon’s arthritis, and I was excited to hear what the oils could do for my family’s health.  To say I was skeptical would be an understatement, but when one is desperate, you’ll try anything.

Collage2

So we invested in the Physician’s Kit and were shocked when December passed without a single cold or flu.  Slowly we built up our collection, and we can honestly say that this past winter was one of the healthiest winters we’ve had in a long time.  Even Jon, who was a bigger cynic than I, admitted that these essential oils were helping us stay healthy.  He was soon raving about the benefits to his coworkers, even bringing samples for a few of the guys.  And just this past week, I found two vials of oil stashed in his work truck.  

Collage6

While I won’t allow the oils to take the place of doctor and modern medicine, I love having another tool in my box of tricks.  At the first sign of a sniffle or fever, I grab the Protective Blend and rub it on the Littles feet.  Even they have gotten in on the oil craze and will ask for an oil before anything else.  I’m not big on the sales aspect of the company, but I wholeheartedly believe in these oils and know that we can look forward to anther relatively healthy year.

Collage1

Then in April, my life took another detour when Jon finally agreed to let us raise chickens in our backyard.  I was bit by the bug when friends built their first coop and I realized how fortunate they were to have access to fresh eggs.  But Jon adamantly disagreed, therefore it was a conversation that went back and forth for years.

Then out of the blue, Jon started waffling in his stance and soon we had plans for a coop and were stalking baby chicks at local feed stores.  The kids were just as excited as we were and each chose their own chick to own and name.  

Collage3

Our very first night of owning the chicks showed that this was not going to be for the faint of heart.  Ashlynn’s chick, named after Ariel the Mermaid, was obviously very sick and Ashlynn was distraught.  So Jon packed Ariel the Chicken up and told her he was taking her to the “veterinarian” and would be back later.  Instead Jon came home with a new chick and Ashlynn never knew the difference.  Jon and I laughingly refer to her as Ariel 2.0, and we’ll keep that secret between the two of us until Ashlynn is a little older.

Collage4

For five months we watched these chickens grow.  We had tragedy strike in the form of our dog, Gracie (and that’s another story for another time), we had to give away one chicken when it became apparent that she was actually a he.  Jon spent months converting the back part of our shed into a chicken coop.  We spent hours on the internet familiarizing ourselves with nesting boxes, roosts, chicken runs, and chicken diseases.  We’ve fed them treats, watched as Ariel 2.0 learned to fly and make it out of our backyard, and laughed as chickens were chased by Littles.  Its absolutely apparent that these chickens are not livestock and have quickly become pets, much to Jon’s dismay.  There have been many days that I’ve sat on our patio and watched the chickens scratch for food, sun bathe, and interact.  They’ve had a calming and healing effect on muddled thoughts and anxious feelings.  I’ve jokingly referred to it as chicken therapy.

Collage5

And now, we’re reaping the rewards of fresh eggs.  We have five laying hens and it has yet to get old running out to the nesting boxes to check for eggs.  This has been one of the best decisions we’ve ever made and I am so thankful that we’ve allowed the Littles this opportunity. 

I can’t help but laugh at this woman, the one who tells her children to go collect the eggs, or who goes digging through her oils when a symptom appears.  But somehow, I’m embracing the fact that I may be more of an all natural, free spirit than I ever imagined.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Christina
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

I love it. :)

Reply
avatar