Dodged a Bullet

Friday, April 25, 2014 2 Comments A+ a-

With the older two at school, I'm sipping coffee while curled up on the couch, and I'm listening to the imaginations of two little girls play out in the kitchen.  From what I can gather, they're grownups who live together, go to work (one's a doctor, the other is a teacher but only when the mood strikes), and visit their mom and boyfriends on a regular basis.

As I watch Reagan wander through the living room and hug our vacuum (her chosen inanimate object for the role of boyfriend) for the umpteenth time, I stop her.

"Hey Rea," I asked her. "What do you and your boyfriend do?"

She stops and turns around. I watch as she traces her toe in a circle on the carpet. "We go on dates." 

Such a matter of fact answer, especially for a five year old.

"Oh really?  And where do you go on dates?"

Without batting an eyelash, she answers.  "We go to hotels."

Oh, sweet moses.  Seriously.  How on earth am I going to explain this one?  And what have we taught our child, I wondered.  Trying to keep the panic out of my voice, "Okay... What do you do at the hotel?"

"We go swimming."

I think it was pure, sweet relief that came through in my laugh.  And with the most innocent of smiles, she returned to her game of make-believe with Ashlynn.

Whew.  We dodged a bullet with that one.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jody
AUTHOR
7:15 PM delete

That is such an innocent thing that it is so cute!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:43 PM delete

LOL! I LOVE it! I often wonder what kids think we do on dates. :)

Reply
avatar