Define "Hot"

Monday, April 21, 2014 3 Comments A+ a-

Hudson and Jon are going on a field trip next week.  They're hiking one of the local trails with the rest of the first grade.  In fact, one of the main reasons Jon decided to be a parent volunteer is because they're hiking one of the trails he helped build during his stint as a Trail Crew Worker.

As we sat around the dinner table talking about the field trip, Jon and I were trying to remember how old he was the summer he worked for the Parks & Open Lands Department.

"I was eighteen that summer," he said.  But I reminded him that the summer he was eighteen, he was traveling back and forth to Estes Park to work as a photographer in one of their old fashioned, western shops.  The kind where women put on saloon dresses, are handed pistols and empty jugs of whiskey, and are positioned on the bar or in front of "Wanted: Dead or Alive" posters.

"You were nineteen during the Trail Crew," I explained.  "You were blondest, the tannest, and in the best shape that summer. You were hot!"

Devyn groaned into her dinner, "Grooooosss!" The youngest two laughed, completely unaware but thinking it was hysterical.  And Hudson thoughtfully chewed his bite, swallowed, and asked, "When Mom says 'hot', does she mean like when someone is sweaty hot?  Or like when someone whistles at someone else?"

I burst out laughing, while Jon choked on his pasta.  I winked at Hudson, "I mean the kind when you whistle."  This prompted more groans from Devyn, and more choking from Jon.  What's the point of parenting if you can't gross out your children every once in a while?  Besides, sixteen years later, I still think he's pretty hot.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
9:17 PM delete

I love this! Ellie already groans and says "eww, gross" when Caleb and I kiss. :)

Reply
avatar
Jody
AUTHOR
10:02 PM delete

This post made me giggle. I think that children should grow up around parents who still think their partner is as you say "hot."

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
3:31 PM delete

Love it!

Reply
avatar