4 Pieces of a Whole

Sunday, April 13, 2014 5 Comments A+ a-

Sometimes a moment just hits you right between the eyes.  I had such a moment on Wednesday.

SistersCollage1

Wednesdays are sacred days to me.  Every Wednesday, Christine and I meet at Mom and Dad’s to hang out.  While Mom takes Elliana and Reagan to BSF with her, she and I get to hang out together with the younger Littles.  We catch up, we talk current events (seriously), we reconnect, we encourage each other, and listen and referee the chaos.  It’s a weekly ritual and one I’m desperately going to miss next year when both Elliana and Reagan begin kindergarten.

SistersCollage2

But this past Wednesday we were not alone.  Both Allison and Courtney decided to surprise us and joined us for Mother-Daughter-Sister time.  First Alli showed up, then Courtney.  And when Courtney walked in, there was an audible click.  We were together, and all was right with the world again.

SistersCollage3

Many don’t understand how four sisters could be so close, and I’ve tried explaining it before.  But sometimes, some things just can’t be explained.  And while I certainly don’t believe in soul mates, these ladies could easily fit into that role.  They have my past, and are my present and future.  They have driven me crazy, they enrage me like no one else can, they are my best friends and my worst nitpickers.  They know me inside and out, and vice versa.

1767_120271600192_9890_n

And with our weekly tradition coming to an end… with Courtney getting ready to set off on a new adventure… I just need them to know how very much they mean to me.  Its amazing how different we all are, yet so much the same.  Four pieces of a whole.

1026011_10151651559939287_1469789626_o

Sister. She is your mirror, shining back at you with a world of possibilities. She is your witness, who sees you at your worst and best, and loves you anyway. She is your partner in crime, your midnight companion, someone who knows when you are smiling, even in the dark. She is your teacher, your defense attorney, your personal press agent, even your shrink. Some days, she's the reason you wish you were an only child.

1382923_10101237821717343_1090608300_n

sisters are... clothes borrowers, fit throwers, cover stealers, secret keepers, an enemy, a friend, a conversation without end, sassy, bossy, silly, fussy, pretty & sweet, dress up, mess up, get punished, fights over nothing, sharer of dreams, a headache, a pain, a princess, a brat, she ruined my clothes, i love her, i miss her, i tease her, she is my family and that means more to me.

459381_10150945561059287_1894912193_o

My sisters remind me, by their very steadfastness, that truth, beauty and goodness exist in the world, and that no matter what, there are and always will be people loving people through thick and thin.

1925157_10151948948643021_659790112_n

Sisters don't need words. They have perfected a language of snarls and smiles and frowns and winks - expressions of shocked surprise and incredulity and disbelief. Sniffs and snorts and gasps and sighs - that can undermine any tale you're telling.

Image-1080

Behind every little sister there's a big sister standing behind her holding a bat saying, 'You wanna say that again?!'

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Tracy
AUTHOR
6:12 PM delete

I just love this! I am blessed to have 2 sisters (and a brother too!) I have 3 little girls and a little boy. There is something so special about the bond between sisters.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:42 PM delete

I'm not going to lie, this brought tears to my eyes after reading it. Wednesday was special for all of us I think since those days are so few and far between and coming to an end soon. Hopefully we can fit in a few more of those days this summer.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:52 PM delete

Aww. This brought tears to my eyes too. I refuse to believe these days are coming to an end (sniff sniff). When these days are gone, I will always look back at them and cherish them. We are indeed 4 pieces of a whole. Love you.

Reply
avatar
Holly
AUTHOR
10:30 AM delete

Sisters are amazing!! I'm so happy that you have such a close bond with yours. I just have an older sis but she and I have gotten much closer over the years, and I have a great bond with my younger brother. Families are just so important and I hope more people realize that!

Reply
avatar
Vicki P
AUTHOR
10:45 AM delete

I love this post! I have but one sister and our relationship is one I treasure so much!

Reply
avatar