Video Killed the Radio Star

Friday, March 21, 2014 4 Comments A+ a-

Only in this version, its Instagram Killed the Mommy Blogger.  But that doesn’t nearly have the same ring as the original title, does it? 

Before I dive into this new insight, I want to share a few photos that I’d normally post to Instagram if I wasn’t on a social media fast.


4WheelingWe visited Daddy at his new office and of course, they had to climb on the new toys.  I feel like I’m peeking into our future, one that involves a 4-wheeler.  Daddy can hope, can’t he?!

BasketballHoopsSpring Break always includes a sleepover or two, right?  And this “new to us” basketball hoop is the perfect addition to our basement.  You have to love hand-me-downs from family whose children have outgrown it.

LegosHours and hours of lego building!  Seriously, I don’t think I’ve ever heard so much silence as I have this week.  Legos, quiet time, and no fighting.  It was a dream come true!

  PrincessAshlynnAnd like the rest of the nation, Frozen has taken over our home.  I do believe we’ve watched it twice a day since we got it.  I introduce Princess Anna (Ashlynn).  She and Reagan have the sister part down cold, and if I’m honest, I have the whole movie memorized too.  Le sigh. 


So back to the original point of the post…

First of all, the social media fast.  Everyone keeps asking me how I’m doing, and while the first couple of days were rough and even though I cheat from time to time, I’m actually really enjoying it.  I’m having more face time with friends (yay for play dates!), more phone calls and personal texts, and I’m gaining some perspective.  Perspective is good, even if a bit sobering.

This fast has proved me to that I miss blogging.  Like really, really miss blogging. 

I knew that my blogging has lagged in months and years past.  I’ve had friends comment on the lack of posts.  Jon has mentioned it more than once.  And I can see the post count for myself.  This place was once my go-to space.  The place where I was able to share my life and my thoughts, the lessons I was learning. 

And then along came Instagram. 

Suddenly I was able to post a picture and few sentences, and my creative juices ran dry.  After all, why take the time to put together coherent sentences and formulate paragraphs, when I can get by with a quick, five minute post?  I got lazy.

And then Jon said something to me the other day and I haven’t stopped thinking about it since.  “Instagram has become a cheap look into your life.”

Ouch.

Yes, it sounds harsh.  And yes, he didn’t mean it to sound so severe.  But there’s a lot of truth in there.  He used to get online and read my blog every day.  It was one of the first things he did every morning.  And as my blogging has slacked, so has the peek into my mind and thought processes.  He used this post as an example…

“Jenn,” he said.  “This is beautiful.  I love this!  But here’s what you would’ve done on Instagram.  You would’ve found a picture of Mark Wills, added a few sentences about marriage, then added the following hashtags: #younglove #memorylane #feelingblessed.  But the blog post shows so much more than what a few sentences can convey.”

And the truth of the matter is, he’s right.  He is 100% correct.  And it burns me that he knows me so well. 

I don’t know this will mean for me once the fast is over.  I’m still processing this and probably will for a while.  I don’t imagine I’ll say goodbye to Instagram.  After all, even Devyn is looking forward to my return to Instagram; she has missed looking at our life through pictures.  But I do believe I’ll probably scale back because I’ve missed this blog and I’ve enjoyed writing here again.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
9:28 PM delete

First of all, LOVE the new design! Beautiful design and colors! 2nd of all, I agree wholeheartedly with what he said. I'm loving seeing more blog posts and more personal texts. :)

Reply
avatar
Tracy
AUTHOR
6:30 AM delete

I'm loving the new blog design too! I can't wait for more post. I'm a mommy of 4 as well and I like seeing how other moms do it.

Reply
avatar
Linds
AUTHOR
12:52 PM delete

I found my head shaking in agreement this whole post. I gave up social media for lent as well, and it's slightly embarassing how many times a day I picked up my phone to post something and remembered that I couldn't get on. It's been sp good for me to get that perspective back and to realign my heart and intentions correctly.

Reply
avatar
Linds
AUTHOR
12:52 PM delete

I found my head shaking in agreement this whole post. I gave up social media for lent as well, and it's slightly embarassing how many times a day I picked up my phone to post something and remembered that I couldn't get on. It's been sp good for me to get that perspective back and to realign my heart and intentions correctly.

Reply
avatar