Vegas On My Mind

Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2 Comments A+ a-

Its true, I had a blast.  An absolute blast!  I honestly didn’t know what I’d think about Sin City once the weekend was over, but I was pleasantly surprised.  I loved Daytime Vegas, with the huge buildings and the bustle and the quirky street entertainers.  And if I could look past the naked part, I enjoyed Nighttime Vegas too. 

Vegas7

Let’s start off with the way-too-stressful, too-close-for-comfort, almost-missed-flight.  We got stuck in a traffic jam and sat on a half-mile section of highway for an hour.  ONE HOUR.  Courtney was hitting her steering wheel, Christine (the calm and cool sister) was losing her calm and cool, and husbands were calling or texting every ten to fifteen minutes to see if we were any closer.  “No!  We’re not any closer than the last time you called, so stop calling!”  I decided that since emotions were already on high, it was probably best to avoid letting Jon know about the current circumstances and just hope for the best.  A run through airport security and terminal, only to arrive at our gate with 50 seconds to spare, completely out of breath and stressed out was probably not the best start to our trip.

Vegas20Vegas3

Which is why we found ourselves in a Mexican restaurant as soon as we arrived at our hotel, sipping this bad boy.  Without a doubt, one of the best margaritas I’ve ever had.  I’m still not sure it was worth the $10 price tag, but at least I was relaxed again.

Our first night in Vegas had us visiting the Bellagio fountains, at Mom and Courtney’s insistence.  It was fantastic, especially when it was choreographed to Michael Jackson.  But anything + Michael Jackson will be a hit, as far as I’m concerned.  Then we were off to the Venetian for the Tim McGraw and Faith Hill concert.

Vegas43Vegas10

We sadly underestimated the distance from the Bellagio to the Venetian and by the time we took our seats, my feet were screaming for mercy.  I came home with about five new blisters on my feet, but it was totally worth it.  Tim and Faith sang beautifully, and it was such a special treat.  Tim is an incredible entertainer and he completely stole the show.  While I love Faith’s voice and her songs, she was either having a bad night or she has no stage presence.  Regardless, definitely a night to remember.

Vegas16Vegas24Vegas47

The next day we went to the M&M store, gambled, toured Caesar's Palace, and met up with our aunt and her friends.  They took us to the Max Brenner restaurant for lunch and Mom and I shared the most amazing macaroni and cheese.  It took all my willpower to not lick my plate clean.  I’m not even kidding, it was that delicious.  I may or may not have been trying to find a recipe to replicate that dish.  Also, I love my aunt’s friends.  They are a hoot and a half, and I really hope that a road trip is in the near future.  (Hint, hint, ladies!)

IMG_6918

Our second night came with a reservation at the restaurant at the top of The Stratosphere to celebrate Alli and Brian’s 30th birthdays.  Nice doesn’t even begin to describe this restaurant.  I’m talking so fancy that the plates don’t even include side dishes.  I’m talking so fancy that I wondered if I’d have to harvest an organ to pay for the meal.  I’m talking so fancy that everything melted in your mouth, it was that good.  It was experience I’ll never forget! 

Vegas40

We even got to walk around the top deck after dinner and that lasted for about 10 minutes before my shaky legs and sweaty palms forced me to admit that yes, I’m still terrified of heights.  And yes, that building is really, really, REALLY high.  So Alli and I went back inside while the rest of the adrenaline junkies flirted with death.  (I kid, I kid… kind of.)

Vegas45Vegas23

Afterwards we all headed back to our hotels to change and it felt so good to change into tennis shoes and jeans.  We may have looked out of place among the sequins, satin, high skirts, and even higher heels.  But hey, we were the comfortable ones.  However, at this point, my three younger sisters were flying on sleep deprivation and they have a habit of getting slap-happy when they’re that tired, to the point that I’m sure bystanders thought there was some alcohol involved in their behavior.  Nope.  Just annoying their big sister as much as humanly possible.

Vegas41

Since we couldn’t seem to agree on a plan of action, we said our goodbyes to Brian and Alli and made our way back to our hotel.  We played some penny shots, some poker, and then Christine decided to get back on the Deal or No Deal machine that won her a few dollars earlier in the day.  Well, wouldn’t you know it, that machine was her four-leaf clover because she actually won a hundred dollars!  The three of us couldn’t stop laughing as the machine kept climbing higher and higher.  We decided to end on a high note and call it a night.

Vegas8

And wouldn’t you know it, the exact opposite happened on our flight home.  We arrived at the airport in PLENTY of time to catch our plane, only to have it be delayed an hour and a half.  Yep, the four hours in the Vegas airport are four hours I’ll never get back. 

Vegas36

We had an amazing time!  And while I don’t care much for the naked part of Vegas, I had such a good time.  I think I’ll be back someday.  I don’t see it as an annual trip, or even an every other year trip.  But maybe in five to ten years, I’ll be ready to head back.  Although I really think it was the company that made the trip what it was, so unless I have the sisters and Mom on board again, maybe I won’t. 

And a quick, but very needed, shout-out to the husbands who held the forts down at home.  They ROCKED the daddy thing while we were away.  There were times that they put us mommas to shame with their efficiency and know-how and fun adventures.  So thank you, husbands.  This trip wouldn’t have been possible without you!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Jessica
AUTHOR
8:01 PM delete

Like I told Courtney, Faith Hill has NO stage presence!!! I went to their first Soul2Soul tour years ago (like before kids) & I found her to be so boring! Thank goodness Tim is so entertaining (and easy on the eyes)! Because if it weren't for him, the concert would have been so boring! I love reading all of your recaps! Sounds like a GREAT trip & a fun tim together!!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:23 PM delete

I love this post, and so many of your quotes, such as "However, at this point, my three younger sisters were flying on sleep deprivation and they have a habit of getting slap-happy when they’re that tired, to the point that I’m sure bystanders thought there was some alcohol involved in their behavior. Nope. Just annoying their big sister as much as humanly possible." Ha ha!
I was very impressed with how you handled the hour being stuck on the highway. You win for staying the most calm! Equally impressed with our husbands and how they did back at home with the littles. :)
It was a trip to remember! So fun!

Reply
avatar