Varied Thoughts

Friday, March 28, 2014 1 Comments A+ a-

Really, the correct title should be “I’m just throwing a ton of stuff together and calling it a post” but that’s too long-winded.  Even if it is true.

We made it through the week, and I must make a confession here.  It’s the first time this whole school year that we were on time to school every, single day. Y’all, my tardiness is a sickness.  We never used to be late!  Pre-Littles, we were not only on time, but were early to everything.  Enter the Littles and my perpetual excuse for my tardiness.  It’s become a crutch.  But when report cards come home and there’s a note about tardiness, well, that one is all on me… no matter how much I’d like to blame the Littles.  *raises hand*  I’m the guilty party.

But its finally Friday night and I’m sitting next to Jon, drinking a beer, while I listen to Hudson and Reagan do everything BUT go to sleep like we’ve asked them to do for the last hour.  While it’s a touch annoying and I’m ready for some quiet, I’m also enjoying listening to the two of them giggle and whisper back and forth with each other.  Since Ashlynn and Devyn are having a sleepover with Aunt Ney, the two of them have decided to bunk together for the night.

HudsonDude

And because we are without two of our Littles, I coerced Jon into dinner out.  It was a two-fold request.  One, I needed to get out of the house because I needed to be out among other adults.  And two, we never, ever get alone time with our two middle children.  I wanted some one-on-one time with these two, my fiery, strong-willed twosome.  The ones that are either best friends or worst enemies, the ones that run hot or cold.  And it was a great night with them, one with lots of laughter and savoring the uniqueness of each child. 

ReaganLove

As we walked back to our car, I wondered aloud to Jon, “Do you see how much easier life would have been had we stopped with two?”  I’m not wishing my life away, or wishing for anything that my life is not.  But the fact is, it just would’ve been easier.  There was less talking over each other, there was more concentrated attention, it was quieter.  But then Jon spoke some truth into my musing.  “Yeah, it’d be easier.  But it would be so boring.”  Yep, he’s absolutely correct.  As usual.

Spring is slowly started to emerge here.  Saying that is like tempting fate in Colorado, as there are likely a few more snowstorms coming our way before we can officially put winter behind us.  Its has been one of the longest winters I’ve experienced in a while, and I’m desperate for warm weather and the sun.  Last week was spring break and it was a hard week.  I’m not one to normally bemoan school breaks, as I really do love spending time with our Littles.  But for whatever reason, I was DONE by Thursday.  I was in a rotten, exhausted, and why-can’t-school-start-today kind of mood.  And then I felt guilty for wanting to send everyone back!  But we stepped outside to play with some neighbors and the sun completely turned my mood around.  Thank the good Lord for vitamin D!

Seedlings

I made the mistake of reading through an old Home & Garden magazine and got bit by the gardening bug.  I have a black thumb.  For real, I once killed a cactus.  Do you know how hard one has to TRY to kill a cactus?!  But Jon and I have some really fun ideas to spruce up our yard and I’m looking forward to spending more time outside.  The Littles and I bought some seeds and pellets from Home Depot over Spring Break and planted some flowers and cilantro.  We already see some sprouts coming up, and I can’t tell who is having more fun with the project.  Me or the Littles.

Do y’all remember when I mentioned that I’d been tricked into agreeing to run the Turkey Trot 5k with my sisters on Thanksgiving?!  Yeah, I haven’t done a follow-up post about that experience at all and this is another reason I’m happy to be blogging again.  In the months leading up to the race, I discovered that I actually enjoy running.  Who knew?!  Don’t ask me how I feel when I’m in the midst of a run, because I’m fairly certain you’ll get a look and maybe a few choice words.  Running is NEVER fun in the moment, but I was amazed at how good I felt after each run and how much stress I was able to leave on the pavement during those runs.  As someone who swore she was allergic to exercise, color me surprised.

RunningCollage1

The morning of the Turkey Trot dawned bright and early.  Way too early for my taste, especially on a holiday.  But we made it to the race, and I registered Devyn, Hudson, and myself.  We ran with my sisters, brothers-in-law, cousins, aunts, uncles, and our dad.  (We have an exceptionally large family.)  Jon, Reagan, and Ashlynn waited for us at the finish line.  Devyn insisted on running with me at first, but she soon tired of that and Christine and Alli agreed to let her finish with them.  I found my stride about mile two, and that mile was my strongest time.  I loved it!  I don’t think I’ll ever be a serious runner because, well, look at my final time.  But I do think I’ve been bitten by the 5K bug.

RunningCollage2

So much so, that I’m running the Color Vibe 5K on May 31st.  Another fun one, and I’m excited that I’ll get to run one more time with Courtney before she and Jeremy move themselves away from us.   Since I haven’t run since the Turkey Trot (see, I’m not a serious runner, there ain’t no way I’m running in snow and cold, not this girl*), I started my Beginner 5K training again this week.  I’m impressed that I shaved off two minutes from my first training session in September compared to Monday’s run, which means there’s still some residual improvement from last fall.

I finally hear silence, which can mean one of three things.  Either a) they’ve both fallen asleep, b) one has fallen asleep in spite of the other’s best efforts, or c) they’re doing something really, really naughty.  And if its option C, I’m choosing to ignore it.  Mother of The Year, right here. 

I’m just thankful for the weekend.  It’s a beautiful thing.

*Holy run-on sentence Batman.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
Linds
AUTHOR
6:16 PM delete

I'm so happy you're doing the color run. I am not a runner (I run only if someone large is chasing me, which, to date, has not happened in my lifetime... praise Jesus!), but have wanted to do the color run for a while. Maybe one day it will happen. Maybe...

Reply
avatar