Delivered or Free: That is The Question

Monday, March 24, 2014 2 Comments A+ a-

Like my friend, Becky, I’m still processing things from IF: last month.  There was just so much truth, so many eye-opening revelations.  And I especially love that we’re reflecting on different things from the conference.  I suppose that’s what happens when so many gather to hear from God.

Christine Caine rocked my world.  I have never heard of Christine Caine before IF: and her straightforward, to-the-point, direct, and almost brutal honesty has been on repeat in my mind.  She’s the first one to introduce the concept of living in deliverance or living in freedom to me.  Actually, now that I think about it, she might not have been the first, but she’s the first to deliver it with such a punch.  And I sometimes need to be knocked over the head with good Truth.

The Israelites and their exodus out of Egypt are the perfect example of living delivered, but not in freedom.  The journey from Egypt to Canaan should have taken only 11 days.  Eleven days!  In less than two weeks, they could’ve been living in the land of milk and honey that was promised to Abraham.  And yet, because of their lack of faith, their grumbling, their inability to live as free people, they wandered the desert for 40 years!

Deliverance vs. Freedom

Its easy to read the accounts of the Israelites and their wavering faith and think them a foolish people.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  But as Christine Caine pointed out, we’re still living like that today.  How many of us know that we’ve been delivered from a pit of sin, from death, from an empty life and still continue to live as though those things have control over us?  I know that I continue to keep a death grip on the things that I’m familiar with, no matter how miserable they might make me.

  • Anger and hurt?  Check.
  • Fear and doubt?  Check.
  • Depression and anxiety?  Check.
  • Same actions producing same results?  Check.

Rachel and I were saying that it’s like we’re on the interstate, going around and around in circles.  We see the off-ramp to “Freedom” but yet we stay on the circular track because that’s what we know.  Never mind that the things we know make us miserable, it just feels safer to stay with the known.  Kind of like when the Israelites were delivered from slavery, but in their fear, they cried that it would have been better to stay in Egypt and bondage than die in the desert.  However, God was doing a new thing and they were too busying grumbling to notice it.

I’ve said before, when God speaks a theme into my life, I know I’d better start paying attention.  Between IF:, a sermon at church, and Beth Moore’s Believing God study, I’ve heard the same thing.  Its time to move on, Jenn.  Its time to move forward in obedience.  Yes, its scary.  Yes, there is unknown.  Yes, it will be like taking a flying leap off a tall building.  But if I believe God is who He says He is, then I should be able to move forward in trust and faith.  In last week’s study, Beth Moore said that sometimes when we tell a mountain to move and it does move… but the child doesn’t.  The mountain sits behind us, moved out of our way, but we continue to hold on to the mountain.  I don’t want to be that child that refuses to let go of the weight that’s holding me down.

Christine Caine issued a battle cry at IF:, I likened it to Mel Gibson in Braveheart.  “It is for freedom!”  The question is, am I ready to move forward and take it?  When God utters a command of “Move it!”, am I going to move in obedience?  Or will I continue to live as one who stands still, wandering the same place for forty years?

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Linds
AUTHOR
11:46 AM delete

love this. This same theme rocked me during IF: too. Have you read Restless yet??? So good!

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
10:37 AM delete

I wish you could see me sitting here nodding my head in agreement with every single word you've written. I keep hearing Christine Caine saying "you've been doing laps around Mt. Siani for 40 years...same mumbling, same grumbling, same complaining....move on girl!" I love these scary steps to freedom!

Reply
avatar