End of Summer… Stuff

Monday, August 19, 2013 4 Comments A+ a-

 
Summer2013

I don’t think I’ve enjoyed a summer as much as I have this one.  There’s something to be said about having older Littles and not being tied down by baby schedules.  As hard as its been to say goodbye to the young family stage, I’ve thoroughly enjoyed all of the swimming, lake, and hiking day trips we’ve taken.  Ashlynn still needs an afternoon nap, but we can be a lot more flexible as to when.  She rocked the flexibility part.

As my sister, Courtney, put it “Tan + Smiling + Active = Happy Summer”.  I’m really sad to say goodbye to summer… I’m just not quite ready for fall.  Which is saying a lot for me.

The movie, Flicka, came out in 2006.  And with it, Tim McGraw’s song, “My Little Girl.”  Once Jon heard it, it was immediately dubbed “Devyn and Daddy’s Song.”  Jon and I both get choked up when we hear it…  Within the past few weeks, we were re-introduced to the movie and the song when Aunt Alli gave the Littles a copy.  I loved hearing Devyn tell a friend about her and Daddy’s song, and when Jon heard it again for the first time in a long time, I noticed he had to stop singing halfway through the chorus. 

All of the Littles have grown up so much this summer, but most noticeably Devyn Paige.   She has grown several inches and we’ve gotten several comments that she looks older than she is.  Jon and I were told that it goes fast, and even though we’re in the midst of raising her, its bittersweet to see how fast it really goes.

I put together a not-so-quick video of Devyn from birth to now, featuring Jon and Devyn’s song + Darius Rucker’s “It Won’t Be Like This For Long.”

Hudson lost his first tooth last night.  I find it a little ironic that both Devyn and Hudson lost their first tooth during the summer before their first grade year.  I wonder if that tradition will follow suit for Reagan and Ashlynn.

He’d been wiggling the tooth for quite some time, and last night when Jon asked to see it, I knew what was coming.  Too bad Hudson had no clue.  Ha!

One yank and there was a hole in my baby’s mouth.  Poor guy bled a ton!  But I think the $5 the Tooth Fairy made up for it.  Also, the $5 is just for the first tooth.  The price of teeth goes down considerably after that.
Lost Tooth, Hudson

As sad as I am to say goodbye to summer, there are a few things that I’m looking forward to:

  • A return to a regular schedule/routine.
  • A weekly bible study time.  I am DESPERATE for this time again.
  • Having one child in the afternoon, 4x a week.  Especially since its her nap time.  I may actually be able to get this house in order again.  We’ll see…
  • Cooler temps.  I’m not ready for winter yet!  But I am looking forward to crisper mornings and the return of Pumpkin Spice everything.
  • Some exciting developments underway with another blog designer.
  • Its going to be a good year…  I just know it!
MomDad

These are my parents.  They celebrated 35 years of marriage in May.  35 years of marriage!  I’m so thankful for their testimony of marriage and the hard work it takes to keep it going.

They’re leaving next month for two weeks in Alaska and on an Alaskan cruise.  They’re going to be gone for my birthday… but whatever, I’m not their favorite anyway. *cough* Courtney *cough*

Honestly, I’m thrilled for them and can’t wait to hear about the trip!  It was originally planned for last summer but, well, we all know how that turned out.  I know they’re going to have a wonderful time!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Amber
AUTHOR
2:50 PM delete

That first picture - TOO CUTE! it's a framer for sure :)

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:25 PM delete

That video brought tears to me eyes! You can definitely see the huge change in her in the last few months. She's definitely not a lite girl anymore. :(
Also? I love how many pictures there are of her reading by herself, takes after her mama...

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:23 PM delete

I feel like I should just say ditto to everything Courtney said.
The video totally made me cry. More than one single tear. ;)
I LOVE that top picture of the four of them.
Wow. Your tooth fairy is generous!

Reply
avatar
3:16 PM delete

Oh my goodness! What a full post! First of all, congrats to your parents on that amazing milestone! I cracked up with the favorite child comment! ha! Devyn has definitely grown up a lot in pictures, but she still has that sweet innocence about her. She reminds me SO much of McKayla and I know they would be the best of friends! Can't wait to hear about the exciting blog designing stuff coming up! :)

Reply
avatar