I traded perfect for a house full of real.

Monday, July 15, 2013 7 Comments A+ a-

I'd seen The Tired Mother's Creed floating around before. I skimmed it, liked it, and moved on. But then I woke to multiple texts from Jon. He knows I've been struggling with feelings of inadequacy lately. Why is my house always trashed? Why can't I tackle that laundry room that's constantly mocking me with the 8 loads of laundry I haven't folded yet? How am I failing the Littles? What am I forgetting? What could I be doing better? The list goes on and on.

So to wake up to texts from Jon with bits and pieces of The Tired Mother's Creed, it was encouraging to say the least. That man... he gets me. I love that I have a partner who knows and understands this is a phase of life. Who encourages me in my strengths, and holds me up in my weaknesses.

And because this so spoke to me on this Monday morning, I need it written here. In this space. And from one tired mother to another, there is solidarity in admitting we don't have it all together.

1.  I shall not judge my house, my kid’s summer activities or my crafting skills by Pinterest’s standards.

2. I shall not measure what I’ve accomplished today by the loads of unfolded laundry but by the assurance of deep love I’ve tickled into my kids.

3. I shall say “yes” to blanket forts and see past the chaos to the memories we’re building.

4. I shall surprise my kids with trips to get ice cream when they’re already in their pajamas.

5. I shall not compare myself to other mothers, but find my identity in the God who trusted me with these kids in the first place.

6. I shall remember that a messy house at peace is better than an immaculate house tied up in knots.

7. I shall play music loudly and teach my kids the joy of wildly uncoordinated dance.

8. I shall remind myself that perfect is simply a street sign at the intersection of impossible and frustration in Never Never land.

9. I shall embrace the fact that in becoming a mom I traded perfect for a house full of real.

10. I shall promise to love this body that bore these three children –out loud, especially in front of my daughter.

11. I shall give my other mother friends the gift of guilt-free friendship.

12. I shall do my best to admit to my people my “unfine” moments.

13. I shall say “sorry” when sorry is necessary.

14. I pray God I shall never be too proud, angry or stubborn to ask for my children’s forgiveness.

15. I shall make space in my grown up world for goofball moments with my kids.

16. I shall love their father and make sure they know I love him.

17. I shall model kind words – to kids and grown-ups alike.

18. I shall not be intimidated by the inside of my minivan – this season of chip bags, goldfish crackers and discarded socks too shall pass.

19. I shall always make time to encourage new moms.

20. I shall not resent that last call for kisses and cups of water but remember instead that when I blink they’ll all be in college.

Thank you for this, Lisa Joy Baker.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Meghan
AUTHOR
6:58 AM delete

I love all of this! Especially 16 & 4. Some of my favorite memories have been getting a text from my Grandma when I'm all snuggled in bed for the night where she says, "fresh pumpkin pie, be here in 10?" I know this has more to do with parents than grandparents, but still :)

Have a great day Jenn!

xo.

Reply
avatar
8:53 AM delete

Love this! I needed it!

Reply
avatar
Brigitte
AUTHOR
10:12 AM delete

The photo of the messing living made me smile. It's the truth. I needed to read this today.

Reply
avatar
10:44 AM delete

I needed this more than you know, Jenn. So much that I am in tears over my pb&j. I thank God for you and your honesty, friend!

Reply
avatar
11:34 AM delete

Thanks Jenn! I needed this today!

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
4:07 AM delete

Love this, Jenn! Thank you!

Reply
avatar
Stacy S
AUTHOR
10:45 PM delete

Never ever ever ever ever ever think that your job as wife and mom is anything but amazing. Amazingly challenging. Amazingly exhausting. Amazingly important. Amazingly *good*.

Reply
avatar