A Touch of This and That

Sunday, July 07, 2013 5 Comments A+ a-

  • I have a new design.  One of the downsides to be being a blog designer is that I get design ADD.  For real.  I think this is my third design since Christmas.  But I love this one!!  We’ll see how long it sticks around.

  • Have I mentioned how much I love our neighborhood?!  I. LOVE. THIS. BLOCK!  I don’t know how we lucked out, but we have an incredible group of neighbors.  If I can’t find my Littles, I can guarantee that they’ll be at one of three houses.  Its like a revolving play date, they move from house to house.  And now my Littles salivate at the front door, just waiting to catch a glimpse of a neighbor kid.  Any neighbor kid will do… And they’re out the front door.

  • On Wednesday, the day before 4th of July, we headed up to Vail to see Jon’s brothers, their families, and his mom.  We had a great time!  It was wonderful seeing everyone, holding my nephew, rubbing the SIL’s pregnant belly, and watching the fireworks in Avon.  I also had a huge ego boost when I was able to fit into SIL’s size 2 jeans.  Whooo hooo!  (I should note that I really don’t wear that size, at all!  But it was an anomaly, and one that I’ll gladly pretend is real.)

  • Yesterday was my mom’s birthday.  And if you remember what happened last year at this time, you know that we’re dealing with the anniversaries of many events during the Craptastic Summer of 2012.  Yesterday was the year anniversary of Grandma’s stroke and cancer diagnosis.  I’m not going to lie…  This anniversary stuff sucks.

  • We did our best to get Mom’s mind off everything, and my aunt came up with a fun idea to do the new Pinot’s Palette that’s in our town.  You get to paint and drink at the same time.  Seriously.  Aunt Debbie made the reservations and about twelve of the family showed up to paint a beach scene and partake of adult beverages.  We had an absolute blast!  And that’s coming from someone who can’t paint a straight line to save my life.

  • Jon just finished working 76 hours of overtime during the month of June.  And while the paycheck at the end of July will be nice, I’m not sure it was worth it.  The poor man left for work at 5:00am and often didn’t return until 8:00-9:00 at night.  It got to the point that the Littles were missing him and wondered when was the last time he was home.  Never mind that he was home every night, but since they didn’t get to see him, they went 3-4 days at a time without seeing their daddy.  I think the end of that crazy schedule is in sight.

  • When I last wrote, I was so incredibly anxious to pick up our baby girl from camp.  I imagined tear-filled reunion, little arms refusing to let go of me.  It was a beautiful reunion in my mind.  And then reality happened.  I got a cool “Hey Mama” and a nod from my oldest girl.  That’s it.  No hug, no sweet nothings about how much she missed me, just “Hey Mama.”  And then my heart died a little inside.

    Honestly though, it means that she had fun.  It means that she enjoyed her time away.  It means that we’re giving her wings and allowing her to fly tiny bits at a time.  This is good.  This is what is supposed to happen…  Or so I tell myself to make me feel better.

    She won’t stop talking about camp…  The cabin mates, passing the swim test so she could swim in the deep end and go down the slide, the annoying boys, the songs, the games, etc.  She earned her first camp patch (each summer they memorize a set of scriptures to earn patches) and watching the camp video on that Friday, it shows how much my little girl had.  I’m so thankful she got to have that time!

  • Hudson is halfway through his baseball season and loving it as much as ever!  His skills have greatly improved since last season and this time around, he’s one of the more seasoned players on the team.  We’re working on attitudes when it comes to winning and losing, and good sportsmanship.  This is going to be a life-long lesson, I fear.

    I don’t know what next year will bring in terms of baseball…  I don’t know if we’ll stay with the rec league, or if we’ll move him up to the more competitive, club level.  It’s a double-edged sword.  I want him to have fun and not take the game too seriously because well, it’s a game.  And he’s six years old.  But.  If there is some God-given talent there, I don’t want him to squander that gift either.  Anyone willing to share some advice with me?

    As cuddly and loving and affectionate as Hudson is, we’re starting to move into murky waters of him “being a boy”.  There are moments when my jaw drops, I turn a shade of red, and I stammer my way through explanations or answers.  I usually end with, “Buddy.  That’s something you need to talk to your dad about.”  Now I know I was raised in a family of all girls, but really?  Really?!  This stuff starts this young?!  Never mind, don’t answer that.

  • Reagan continues to prove that she is as big as her older brother and sister.  She is the sister that refuses to be left behind, and has adopted the saying “Anything you can do, I can do better” as her mantra.  From riding bikes to reading to attempting to write.  She recognizes the letter R wherever we go, and has decided that any word that has R in it, says her name.

    Reagan currently has an obsession with puzzles.  And I mean OBSESSION.  Everywhere we go, she begs for a new puzzle.  Princesses, fairies, Disney, animals, nature, she doesn’t care.  And these aren’t the easy 24-48 pieces either.  She’s doing 100 piece puzzles.  I kid you not.  Jon and I wonder if we have a future engineer on our hands.

    We're getting ready to get her enrolled in preschool and this is hard for me.  With Devyn and Hudson, it was as natural as breathing, but I’m having a hard time with Reagan being old enough to go.  And I just can’t fathom having only Ashlynn at home with me in the afternoons.  The saying: “The days are long, but the years are short” is becoming more true as time marches on.  I’m going to miss Reagan Rea like crazy!

  • Ashlynn.  Oh Ashlynn.  Where do I begin?  Just when I thought I was getting the hang of parenting a strong-willed child, Ashlynn ups the ante.  Reagan may have a strong will (and she does), but its really just a matter of asserting her opinion and wants.  Ashlynn, on the other hand, has a strong will and some attitude to boot.  The other day, she continued to tell Jon no when he asked her to move her bike.  And on the last no, she turned her face but looked at him out of the corner of her eye.  It was as if she was saying, “How are you going to make me?!”

    It’s the first time a child of mine has been so determined to do things “by mah-self!” that there have been meltdowns in stores.  She wants to push the carts by herself and heaven forbid I try to help her.  “I GOT IT!” she screams at me.  “I can do it mah-self!” she says.  Imagine going through that 4-5 times per store, and you’ll understand why I want to tear my hair out.  Then once we get to the car, she screams at me because she wants to buckle herself in.  Oy vey.

    But with the strong stubborn will and attitude, comes big personality too.  Ashlynn is a hoot and a half.  Her facial expressions, the words that come out of her mouth, the dancing, and the sassy walk.  She is constantly keeping Jon, the kids, and I in stitches.  There’s not a doubt in my mind that she is our extrovert, and maybe our only one too.  I’m still on the fence about a couple of the Littles, but 100% sure about Miss A.

Ok, I’m going to wind it down now. What was supposed to be a brief look at the current happenings in our lives quickly turned into a novel. 

Tomorrow I’m attempting to take all four Little hiking and swimming by myself.  I may be crazy, but that’s the story of my life right now.  If you think of it, pray for my sanity.  And my patience.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
9:05 PM delete

I love these random updates on the kids. Makes me feel like I'm living life with you, I can picture their attitudes and expressions. :) I love each little dearly! I'm afraid all too soon, we're not going to get away with calling them "littles" anymore. :(

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
9:21 PM delete

I agree with Chris, the random updates about the kids are some of my favorite posts you guys write. It makes me feel like I'm not missing out on too much of their day to day lives.
P.S. LOVE the new design and colors you chose!!!!

Reply
avatar
Tyly
AUTHOR
11:26 AM delete

Oh my gosh, I love the new design! I love the instagram picture feature, the colors you chose, and I love how clean and nice it is.

Reply
avatar
Elle
AUTHOR
12:09 PM delete

First off, love the new design and the random updates! As far as Hudson in sports goes, from my experience in playing soccer for 11 years, it is always the case that the cream of the crop will always rise to the top. He should be with his friends and where he has fun. If he is no longer having fun, he will become burned out by the time he reaches high school. You see so many kids that are forced to try bout for the "best" team and before you know it, they don't even want to be there. You two are great parents so I'm sure you will lead him in the right direction! Just make sure he is always having fun and his God given talent will take him where he should be!

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
5:30 PM delete

I love Pinot's Palette! I took my mama for her birthday last year, and we absolutely loved it!

Love your new design too! :)

Reply
avatar