Ashlynn and The Magic Band-Aid

Friday, June 21, 2013 4 Comments A+ a-

0619131944a

On Wednesday night, we had dinner at my parents house.  My sister, Christine and her family are currently staying there while their preemie baby is still in the hospital.  (Don’t worry, I’ll come back and share that story another time, but until then, another sister already covered it.) 

So there we are… 4 adults, 6 Littles, dinner time.  Its complete and utter chaos.  Good times. 

I watch as Ashlynn takes a bite and turn my attention to another child across the table.  Just then Ashlynn starts screaming and crying.  Now, she’s not one who is prone to dramatics, so her screams put me on edge a bit.  But after a quick assessment, all I can assume is that she bit the inside of her cheek.  A quick kiss, some consoling, and she was good as new.

The rest of dinner resumed without incident and soon the Littles were excused from the table.  The adults enjoyed the rest of the meal in quiet.  Well, much quieter than it was five minutes earlier.  It was at this point that Ashlynn started screaming and sobbing again.

Now I’m not going to lie, I’m a little concerned at this point because no amount of kissing and caressing is pacifying her.  The screams continue, all while she points to her cheek and telling me what’s wrong in-between sobs, in indiscernible toddler speak.  I honestly have no idea what she’s trying to tell me and move into the other room so I can get a better look.

After a thorough examination where I wondered if a molar was coming in, or perhaps a bee sting, maybe she chipped a tooth, all I could gather is that she probably bit the inside of her cheek again.  She sitting there and saying “Bah ahhh” over and over again.  Still screaming.  Still sobbing.  I’m still not understanding what she is saying to me, but by her tears and her motions, I know its important to her that I figure it out.

“Bah ahhh!” she said one more time, as she pointed to her cheek.  And a lightbulb went off. 

“Ash, are you asking for a bandaid?” I wondered.  With an emphatic shake of her head, we head to Nana’s medicine cabinet in the bathroom.  While I wrestled the bandaid from the box, then from the wrapper, Ashlynn continued to cry and hold her cheek.

But the minute I placed that bandaid on her cheek (not the inside, mind you, where the bite had taken place), there was complete and utter silence.  I kid you not when I say she fairly skipped out of the bathroom, over to Nana and Aunt “Stine” to show off her newest accessory.

Oh Bandaids!  You are magic!  Thank you for saving my sanity.  Once again.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Kat
AUTHOR
7:54 PM delete

That's so cute! I totally remember thinking bandaids made me hurt less when I was little.

Reply
avatar
6:53 PM delete

Oh poor silly sweet girl! Yay for bandaids! ;)

Reply
avatar
9:04 AM delete

Ha! Kids are too funny!! It wasn't even a colorful one! And you kept your sanity :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:12 PM delete

I love this story. Funny how band-aids are magic.

Reply
avatar