Cabin Weekend Fun

Tuesday, May 28, 2013 2 Comments A+ a-

0526131112

The first time I laid eyes on the family cabin, I was a senior in high school and the youth group went up to play “Capture the Flag” in a clearing at the top of the mountain.  It was my first hike up the winding dirt road, and we had a blast playing in the dark.  Afterwards, we warmed up in the cabin, and I sat on the floor, at Jon’s feet.  We weren’t dating yet, just friends… who liked to flirt…  But Iittle did I know how much this cabin would come to meant to me.

There’s a family tradition to head up to the cabin every Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends.  Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins.  Its been crowded on more than one occasion, and I think this is the first time that we had the cabin to ourselves over the Memorial Day weekend.  Jon’s older brother and his family arrived Friday night, and stayed through Saturday evening.  Whereas, we arrived Saturday morning and stayed until Sunday afternoon.

It was the perfect weekend away.

LandonCollage1This is our nephew, Landon.  He is, without a doubt, the happiest baby I’ve ever seen or held.  I have never seen him without a smile on his face.  He actually seems to handle the chaos of older cousins well, taking it all in.  And the smiling.  And with the exception of Ashlynn, the Littles adore him.  Ashlynn, I fear, has some jealousy issues with Landon, as its quite clear she feels  he’s getting the attention that she’s used to getting herself.  Reagan loves the fact that she and Landon are the only two with blue eyes, and Devyn, well, as you can see, she loves any opportunity to hold a baby.

ReadingCornerThis is my favorite place in the cabin… I consider it the perfect reading corner.  Right next
to the wood stove.
Sorry2I love that the Littles spend their time either playing make-believe outside, or playing Sorry with me. I was a tad competitive. WallMeasurementsThis wall is so special to me.  All of the grandchildren, and now great-grandchildren, get measured on this wall. Its such a treasure!

HikingCollageSunday morning we woke up and took a hike to the top of the mountain.  I think my favorite part was when Hudson asked, “Mama?  Can we take a really long hike so we have a lot of family time together?” 

MountainsCollageAnd with views like these, any complaints are quickly hushed.  I know I’ve said it before, but I love this state.  I never feel closer to God than when I’m in the mountains.  Its such a small hint of His majesty. 

Lunch and a two hour nap later, we locked up the cabin and made our way back home.  We’re hoping to get back up to the cabin a lot this summer…  especially after last summer

I can breathe up there like I can’t down here.  There’s just something about being in the mountains, sitting on the deck with Jon and a beer, and watching the Littles play.  And I know Jon loves watching them explore where he once did the same when he was little.  Its always fun watching life come full circle.

It was a good weekend.  A really good weekend.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Lauren
AUTHOR
7:38 AM delete

Oh wow, just beautiful!!! How you feel about the mountains is how this Florida girls feels about the ocean, it's my happy place and where I feel closest to God!!! I just love this post!!

Reply
avatar
Tracy
AUTHOR
11:20 AM delete

How pretty! I'm glad your family had such a nice time. =)

Reply
avatar