Anniversary, Number 11

Friday, May 31, 2013 7 Comments A+ a-

collage2I feel every single one of the last 365 days.  Its hard to believe that a year ago we were headed to Steamboat Springs to celebrate our 10th anniversary.  It seems like yesterday and a hundred years ago, both at the same time.

On our way up to the cabin last Saturday, we discussed this past year.  It was a hard year.  Death and cancerFires and goodbyesAnxiety and depression.  There were floods, in our house, on his road, and in our lives.  Yep, the difference between where we were a year ago and where we are today, is like night and day.  We were euphoric and carefree at the ten year mark.  This year, we’re older and exhausted, but we’re also stronger.

When we mentioned how hard this year has been to Jon’s grandparents, his grandma said the exact same thing Jon said.  “Yep.  Some years are like that.  You have to take the bad with the good, and just keep going.”  And since his grandparents have been married 60+ years, that is advice I’ll hold near and dear to my heart.  Since his grandparents survived the death of their youngest girl at a year old, then surely, they know what they’re talking about when it comes to hard years.

I know this much…  I wouldn’t have made it this past year without Jon.  As usual, he was strong when I was weak.  He offered comfort and understanding.  He was there to snap me out of funks, and kept me grounded in reality.  Truth be told, we shared an amazing dance this year.  Each of us took turns being the strong one, while the other was allowed to grieve.  He made up for my weaknesses, and I stood in the gap when he needed rest.  And when I stop to think about it, when we can start anticipating each other’s steps like that, its there that I can see the beauty in the ashes of this past year. 

In the midst of reminiscing about this past year, Jon said, “I don’t expect easy years anymore, Jenn.  I think God gives us these trials and hardships for a reason.  It makes us pause and think about the things that really matter.  And it gives us an opportunity to say that even in this, He is good.”  I smiled.  Eleven years later, and he can still surprise me.  Yes, even in this year, God has been good to us.

Jonathan David, rarely does a day go by that I’m not reminded in some way of how fortunate I am to have you by my side.  Thank you for loving me, for anticipating my needs and meeting them.  Thank you for the strength in which you’ve led our family this year.  I continue to fall more in love with you as each year passes and that is a blessing I never expected when I said “I do” eleven years ago.  I thank God for you and the gift of our life together.  I am a blessed woman!  Happy anniversary, Babe!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
MrsJBR
AUTHOR
6:48 AM delete

What a wonderful post. I needed to hear that. I will also keep your grandma's advice close to heart - Some years are just like that. Thanks for your transparency in your blog. I am a long time reader and a first time commentor. Thanks for the inspiration to keep going when things get tough. It's nice to know we are not all in the hard times alone. God Bless

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
7:20 AM delete

Awwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
7:30 AM delete

Happy Anniversary Jenn and Jon! Love you guys! xoxo

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
10:46 AM delete

Years such as yours is the material of a Psalm~ I believe you author one that would be beautiful in its desperation and cries, trust and praise and wounds and balms. Year 10 will be a Standing Stone of Remembrance for future decades of your marriage, Jenn.

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
10:46 AM delete

correction~~ COULD author one :)
and maybe SHOULD!

Reply
avatar
1:51 PM delete

This almost makes me cry. Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful testimony of your marriage! Love this.

Reply
avatar
1:54 PM delete

Happy belated 11th Anniversary!!!

Reply
avatar