Our Trip to The Keys

Monday, April 01, 2013 4 Comments A+ a-

We just got home tonight from a long weekend in Breckenridge with my family.  This trip came just two days after we returned from our trip to the Florida Keys.  I’m half-tempted to skip over this post, but it was such a memorable trip that I need to commemorate it.

Our flight left bright and early on Wednesday, and after we’d checked in, gone through security, and were settled into our seats at the gate, Jon and I realized that it was our first flight out of that airport ALONE since our honeymoon.  Seriously.  This trip was badly needed!

We had a short layover in Charlotte, then boarded a smaller jet for the two hour flight to Key West.  Now here’s the part where I admit that I didn’t pay attention in school.  For some reason, I thought The Keys were part of Florida’s main land.  So imagine my surprise when our flight went in for landing and all I saw was water.  I may have panicked slightly.

image(FYI.  The Keys are actually thousands of islands, with the bigger ones connected by one highway. The Gulf of Mexico on one side, the Atlantic Ocean on the other.  There’s your geography lesson for the day.)

Jon’s mom met us at the one and only arrival gate in the Key West airport and then drove us a half-hour north to their home on the Big Pine Key island.

While I could go into minute details of this trip, I won’t.  So instead I’ll let the pictures do the talking…

Day1Our first full day there, Mom took us to the Bahia Honda Beach.  This is where I put my toes in the Atlantic Ocean for the first time, and it only took me 33 years to do this.  Ha!  We also ate lunch a seaside, seafood restaurant.  Its were I got my first taste of the low key, laidback lifestyle.  I fell instantly in love.

RoostersI could not get enough of the wild roosters.  Wherever we went, there were wild roosters everywhere!  From grocery store parking lots, street intersections, and part of the landscape.

KeyWestOn Saturday, Mom and Glen sent us on our way to Key West.  And once again, I fell madly in love with this place.  It will forever go down as one of my favorite days with Jon… ever!  We wandered Duval Street, hopping in and out of shops.  We ate dinner at one of the sidewalk restaurants.  We got a picture at the most southern point of the US, only 90 miles away from Cuba.  We ran into a group of drag queens that tried to convince us to come in and watch their show.  (That was hysterical!) And watched the sun set from Mallory Square.  It was a magical day!

AnimalsOh the animals, so much fun!  Iguanas, geckos, hermit crabs.  Oh my!

FamilyI will be forever thankful for the time we got to spend with Glen.  He and I actually got to sit and talk for about four hours straight one morning.  It was an emotional morning.  This bracelet perfectly sums up my thoughts and feelings about cancer.  Our goodbyes were hard, one of the hardest I’ve had to say.

FishingThey insisted that we spend one morning doing what Jon loves… fishing.  On our way out to the fishing spot, it was pouring rain.  I was soaked.  And if that doesn’t prove my love for Jon, nothing will.  But the further we moved from shore, the nicer it got.  We were both pretty queasy, but only Jon lost his breakfast.  Poor guy!  We went deep sea fishing on our honeymoon, but I was the one that got sick that time.  He caught the ugliest fish, a squirrel fish, of which he was quickly told NOT to touch.  Apparently, they’ll cut you up pretty bad.  The only interesting thing I caught was an eel, and it feel off the hook before I could get a picture of it.

FavoritesJust a few of my favorites pictures from our six days there.  They don’t do the beauty of the place justice.  It was just amazing!

CoupleCollageSix days away.  We went with the intention of helping his mom and Glen in whatever way we could, but it became so much more.  It was such an amazing trip, I don’t remember being that relaxed and carefree in a long time.  They were so good to us, and I can’t help but think that they did more for us, than we did for them.  Memories that won’t soon be forgotten!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
4:45 AM delete

So glad you had a good time... hopefully, he still has many many weeks/months/years ahead of him!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
6:08 PM delete

All of those pictures of the ocean make me sad. I want to go to a beach now.

Reply
avatar
Jodi
AUTHOR
7:42 PM delete

Sounds like it was a great trip for many reasons. Sad you weren't at BlissDom but I think you needed to be in FL more. I love Key West - so pretty! Glad you had a nice time!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
3:10 PM delete

I would totally go for a vacation in the Florida Keys! Looks like it was an amazing time. Great pics!

Reply
avatar