I need a Moment

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 4 Comments A+ a-

My dearest Hudson,

Sometimes I just need a moment.  A moment to compose myself, a moment to reflect, a moment to take in the changes I see happening in you.  Quite frankly, my love, there have been quite a few moments lately, and each one takes my breath away.

Hudson, you have grown by leaps and bounds in the past few months.  One moment, I saw a struggling, young boy, who barely knew 13 of the 26 letters in the alphabet.  And with the tick of each week, I saw you learning new letters and sounds.  I saw you working so hard and your determination has served you well.  I’ve never been so proud as you added letter after letter, until you knew each one and the accompanying sounds. 

But today… oh, my sweet boy… today you blew me away.  As you sat coloring with Reagan this morning, you wrote: “I luv flrs” which you deciphered to me as “I love flowers”.  And my mouth fell open and I exchanged looks with your daddy.  You are spelling words!  All by yourself!  I don’t care that they’re not spelled correctly, phonetically, its dead on.  And I am proud of you for TRYING! 

Speaking of flowers…  You have suddenly taken on Daddy’s love of gardening and have selected some soil for yourself.  You’ve been cultivating the land, getting it ready for seeds.  And when you heard I was running to the store yesterday, you came running out to the car.  You opened my door and asked if I’d buy you some seeds for your garden.  I told you I would and went to shut the door, but you stopped it and asked, “Pinky promise?”  And there in the driveway, you and I linked pinkies and I promised I would come home with seeds.

Today was a big day for you, my son.

HudsonCollage3A couple of weeks ago, your teacher sent me an email letting us know you were getting a certificate for character.  These awards always mean so much more to me than any athletic or academic award, my love.  Because I want to cultivate in you character.  Above all.  This will be something that no one will ever be able to take away from you, no matter what!  You either have character, or you don’t.  And these awards give me a peek into what’s being shaped into your soul.

HudsonCollage2It is obvious that your love of order, justice, and love of military and policemen have followed you into the classroom.  This is what your teacher wrote on your award:

Hup, two, three, four.  GI Hudson is on a self-control tour.  He might not be in the army, but he has the self-control to be a great soldier.  He has typical kindergarten boy energy, but can harness it when needed.  When the teacher asks him to show he is ready to leave, he is one of the first to get his body ready.  In the hallways, Hudson stays in line with his duck tail and bubble.  He has fun at recess, making up exciting games for the class to play, but is always safe and in control.  Hudson, I am thankful to have you in my class.

Buddy, you did good.

HudsonCollage1Then after school, Daddy and I had the fun of surprising you with a visit to the local police station.  I have a friend who was gracious to show us around the dispatch center, as well as have a police officer show you everywhere else, including the holding cells and interrogation rooms.

I don’t think you stopped smiling the entire time we were there!  Your eyes would widen with each new observation and morsel of information.  This was your heaven, and I’m so thankful that we were able to share that moment with you.

Hudson Jonathan, as I’m catching glimpses of who you are and who God has called you to be, I’m humbled to the core.  You, my son, have such a strong sense of right and wrong.  You are, without a doubt, a born leader.  You have a take-charge attitude, and while it can drive your daddy and I nuts at times, I know this is going to be an incredible asset in your future. 

HudsonCollage4Yet, as strong and bossy as you are, you have such a tender heart too.  Its never more evident than in your interactions with your youngest sister.  I’ve never seen a sibling relationship like what you and Ashlynn have, both adoring each other, almost to a fault.  You are constantly taking care of her, making sure she’s ok, and as rough as I know you can be (because you are ROUGH with Reagan), you always take it down about 10 notches with Ashlynn.  It warms my heart!

Hudson, its an incredible honor to be your mother.  I know I don’t do this parenting thing perfectly; there have been many, many, MANY times I’ve had to ask for your forgiveness for one thing or another.  But I’m honored that I get the opportunity to be a part of your life and I pray (continually) for the wisdom in shaping you, your strengths, and your weaknesses.

I love you, my little man!  And I’m excited to see where this life takes you!
Mama

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
10:16 AM delete

I love this post. Hudson is turning into such a mature and special young man, I love him!

Reply
avatar
10:39 AM delete

This is one of the best posts. Ever. What a sweet boy! And what a great mama you are. You have much to be proud of and thankful for!

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
12:08 PM delete

Jenn, what a beautiful post to your son. Yes, it's amazing to see the changes in him!! You can see him growing, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. God has a calling in his life and will use him with his gifts and strengths! I agree, he has leadership and tenderness. How we love him!!:)

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
12:09 PM delete

Jenn, what a beautiful post to your son. Yes, it's amazing to see the changes in him!! You can see him growing, emotionally, physically, and spiritually. God has a calling in his life and will use him with his gifts and strengths! I agree, he has leadership and tenderness. How we love him!!:)

Reply
avatar