A Bunch of Random

Monday, April 08, 2013 7 Comments A+ a-

Last Tuesday, I had a date with our local courts.  In February I was pulled over, and it was bad news.  I’d just lost my purse a couple of weekends earlier, hence no driver’s license.  I also didn’t have proof of insurance in the car.  We HAD insurance, just no proof of it to hand to the nice officer.  I knew I was in trouble…

So ticket in one hand, and the hands of the youngest three in the other, we waited our turn to see the district attorney. 

Hudson took the whole scene in with wide eyes. He was enthralled with the others in the waiting room, the police officers standing guard, and the men in suits (lawyers) bustling from room to room.  And as I explained the civil process to him, he turned to me and asked which law I broke.

“Well, buddy,” I stalled.  “What law do you think I broke?”

He thought about it for a minute, then asked in all seriousness, “Did you say a bad word while you were driving?”  I laughed so hard that a few heads turned in our direction. 

Finally, it was our turn.  I trooped into the small room with all three children in tow and handed over the ticket and proof of insurance.  The DA looked at me, at the Littles, and said, “Welcome Ms. Glover.  And company.”  He then dismissed all charges!

*****************************

We had a gorgeous weekend!  Beautiful!  And Jon spent most of it outside, clearing out the garden and getting ready for planting.  Which meant that Gracie, our dog, was out of the kennel with him.

On Saturday, I came around the corner and saw Gracie out front.  When I called her, she came running at full speed and took my legs out from under me.  I fell on the concrete sidewalk with such force and knew instantly, I’d done something to my left arm.

I called to Jon to come help me up, but before he could get there, the Littles (who’d seen everything) came running out of the house in tears and hysterics.  Jon was able to get me to my feet, in spite of “help” from the Littles and an exuberant Gracie.

It HURT.  Honestly, I haven’t experienced pain like that before.  I couldn’t lift my arm higher than my shoulder, and even holding it still produced shooting pain from shoulder to wrist.  I took some ibuprofen and a hot shower, which seemed to help.  At least I was finally able to lift my arm above my head without screaming.

Its hurting less and less with each passing day, so I’m assuming it’s a pulled muscle and nothing more.  But every so often, I forget its hurt and any sudden movement has me wanting to cry or curse, or both.

*****************************

This morning Ashlynn put on one of the twenty tiaras floating around this house.  She grabbed one of my wooden spoons and using it as a scepter, announced to anyone that would listen, “I’m a princess!”

Reagan did not take to this too kindly.  She stood in front of Ashlynn, with hands on her hips and a chin set in fury, and said, “No you’re not, Ashlynn! I’m the only the princess!”

When I proceeded to tell Reagan that Ashlynn could be a princess too, she fell into my arms, weeping from the injustice of it all. 

*****************************

We’re in the midst of making summer plans.  Some of which include:

  • Sending Devyn to a week-long summer camp with my friend, Sarah’s, little girl.  I’m a bit nauseous at the thought of our oldest being that far from us for six days.  Hold me.
  • A long weekend in Steamboat Springs with some friends, and the seven Littles between the two families.  I’m fairly certain we might be a touch crazy, but it should be a memorable trip.
  • Tons of camping!  The camping that we didn’t get to do last summer because… well… last summer sucked.

Then as we’re making these plans, and having a gorgeous Spring weekend, we find out that Colorado is expecting over a foot of snow tomorrow.  Oy vey.image

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
2:30 PM delete

Please please please keep your snow... we don't want it here!

Reply
avatar
3:33 PM delete

I love your random posts :) YAY for the charges being dismissed - what a blessing! I hope your arm feels much better soon! Sounds painful!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
4:04 PM delete

I'M SO ANGRY ABOUT THIS BLIZZARD I WANT TO CRY!!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:05 PM delete

This Colorado weather has everyone talking. Seriously, we should be used to this by now. ;) Although it is hard to go from spring clothes back to winter clothes in one day.
I hadn't heard about your fall. Hope you heal quickly!

Reply
avatar
Mommy Mandy
AUTHOR
6:29 AM delete

Oh no! Hope that snow forecast is wrong!!

Reply
avatar
9:18 AM delete

I'm so glad we are not getting your snow! Lol. I can't handle anymore! Love the princess story. I know Avery would be the same way if she had a sister. Hope your arm feels better soon!

Reply
avatar
Andie
AUTHOR
1:31 PM delete

I just recently discovered your blog and I LOVE that you guys are planning camping trips! We are a camping family too! I actually wrote a post at the New ORleans Moms Blog about camping this week! :)

also, what a relief to have gotten those charges dismissed! your little guy is cute! :)

Reply
avatar