Whiplash

Thursday, March 14, 2013 5 Comments A+ a-

This is going to be a smorgasbord of stuff.  In fact, you probably could get whiplash as I bounce from topic to topic, but that’s not the reason for the title…

****************************************

Its amazing how much changes in just 24 hours.  On Tuesday night, we were making plans for Spring Break and making a list of everything we needed to do for our Breckenridge trip.  By Wednesday afternoon Jon and I had two tickets to go to Key West in Florida next week.

But let me back up.  I bought a Blissdom ticket during the summer.  I had every intention of returning to this blogging conference and was really looking forward to it.  But I kept putting off buying my airline ticket.  I didn’t know why, no explicable reason why I had an uneasy feeling that I shouldn’t go.  I tried justifying every reason why I deserved/needed to go… but I couldn’t pull the trigger.  So last month, I sold my ticket.  I hated doing it, but I felt more peace about NOT going, than going. 

Fast forward to this past month…  Jon’s stepdad has been battling prostate cancer for the past two years.  Honestly, the doctors feel he’s had it for a number of years before his actual diagnosis, but officially fighting the disease since 2011.  Its become pretty clear in recent weeks that his fight is coming to an end, and on Tuesday night, with tears in his eyes, Jon came to me and said that he needed to go see Glen; that he needed to say his goodbyes.

That is how we ended up with two tickets to Florida within 24 hours after Jon admitted he needed this trip.  And wouldn’t you know, we’re leaving the day before I would have left for Blissdom?  I just KNEW there was a reason I needed to say no. 

We’re so thankful to ALL who have made this trip possible, including my family is who so graciously taking the time and effort to watch our Littles for us while we’ll be gone.  I’m now up to my eyeballs in to-do and packing lists, but I know that our time with Terry and Glen will be worth it. 

****************************************

I’m not sure if you’ve heard, but a little rss organizer by the name of Google Reader is going away.  Apparently Google is pulling the plug on what is my favorite way to keep track of the blogs I read.  Have I mentioned that I don’t like change?  Because I don’t.  But since Google isn’t giving me a choice, I’ve been looking over a couple of options.

BlogLovin – I was able to download all of my subscriptions via Google Reader and upload them to my BlogLogin account.  I prefer BlogLovin’s mobile page vs. their android app, and have found it to be pretty user friendly.  My only complaint is that I don’t like the short blog post teases and that it makes you click over to the blog to read the whole thing.  But other than that, I think BlogLovin will be my go-to reader.

Feedly – It was much easier to add my subscriptions to Feedly than it was to BlogLovin, simply logging into my Google Reader, Feedly downloaded them all for me.  I love that Feedly lists the whole post and doesn’t require clicking to other links or hitting the back button to go back to the previous page.  However, I dislike all of the scrolling and swiping one must do to get to the content I want to read.

There you have it.  My (very) brief synopsis of my experiences with two new readers.  If you’d like to follow me via BlogLovin, you can just click on this link here.

****************************************

When I was a little girl, my parents allowed me to read during church service because I often complained about how boring the sermons were.  The Babysitter’s Club would often be my book series of choice.  I was quite happy with the arrangement.

Until that is, Steve became my Sunday School teacher.  And that was the end of The Babysitters Club in church.  Honestly, as mad as I was at the time, it was a good thing.  We were perfectly capable of listening.  Many a-sermon-note-taking-skills were learned because of Steve.

We’ve remained family friends, so when Steve asked me to write a guest post for his blog, I was quite honored.  If you’d like to read my thoughts on family worship, feel free to check out the post.

****************************************

Some random updates on the Littles…

  • Ashlynn is talking in full sentences.  Let me repeat that.  My barely 2-year-old is talking in complete sentences.  This is a brand-new phenomenon to Jon and I and we often share looks of disbelief whenever Ashlynn makes her wants known.  Last week she told us, “I want to wear the purple pants.”  Yeah…. we’re in trouble.
  • Reagan has developed a sudden and severe attachment to me.  This too is brand new territory for Jon and I.  Since I worked while Devyn and Hudson were young, there were was little attachment issues.  However, within the past few weeks, Reagan has started screaming hysterically whenever we drop her off at church, or bible study, or a friend’s house.  She’s usually fine within a few minutes, but you’d think we were torturing the child.  I really have no idea what to do or how to fix this.
  • Hudson has turned into a big helper lately and taking his role as big brother quite seriously.  He has started helping them climb into their car seats and buckle their seatbelts.  If I don’t wake up right when the Littles wake up, he’s the one that pours their cereal and milk.  Its so precious that I can forgive the mess he leaves behind.  And on Tuesday, when I had blood drawn for routine lab work, he insisted on hold my hand.  Then he came home and made me a cup of coffee.  True story.
  • Devyn finished her volleyball season and has decided that she wants to try basketball next year instead.  But it wasn’t sitting in the bleachers watching her last volleyball game that had me shaking my head… it wasn’t noticing that she’s outgrown a sixth pair of jeans since October… Do you know what it does to a mother’s heart when she realizes her oldest is as tall her shoulder?!  Do you?  Seriously.  I need the child to stop this growing up business, its not good for my heart.

****************************************

Well, I must get off.  I really need to tackle that to-do list I mentioned above, including the updating of our will and getting medical releases ready.  I must say, this part of adulthood… its not my favorite.  I wish I could go back and give my teenage self the “what for” during those times I couldn’t wait to grow up.  Sigh.  If you need me, I’ll be the one buried in laundry and suitcases. 

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Christina
AUTHOR
6:13 PM delete

That crying thing is totally normal and incredibly disturbing at the same time. Knowing that doesn't help me much, but it won't last forever, either, mama.

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
6:20 PM delete

We had a very similar situation last year. I was denied going to a conference that I'd been to for 5 years straight at work. I was disappointed but it just wasn't going to happen. It worked out for the absolute best because a week before I would have gone to the conference my MIL was diagnosed with colon cancer and had surgery days before I would have been at the conference. God definitely had a hand in making sure we were free that week. My husband & I were both able to go (he was on break) and we could be there for her surgery and for some of the time she was in the hospital. Praying for a safe trip and peace for your husband.

Reply
avatar
6:56 PM delete

This is exactly what happened to me last year, except I'd already bought a plane ticket. I just wasn't feeling right about going. Something did end up coming up during that week. That's just the way God works! I'll be praying for your family.

Reply
avatar
Natalie
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

While I hate getting to see your pretty face next week, I know I'll at least have our random phone convos when one of your kids calls me ;)

I'm so very sorry about Jon's stepdad. Your family has my prayers.

Reply
avatar
8:05 AM delete

Sending prayers to your family. I'm very sorry to hear about his stepdad.

Reply
avatar