The Rules

Monday, November 26, 2012 7 Comments A+ a-

OrnamentIt was the last day of our Thanksgiving break.  After many requests, beginning two weeks ago, I finally broke down and made the chex mix that is now synonymous with Christmas tradition.  While the chex mix baked, we dug out the ornament kits we used at Devyn’s slumber party on Friday night. 

There we sat, Devyn, Hudson, and Reagan each with their own set of gingerbread house ornament pieces, each engrossed in their project.  All was calm and quiet.

…until, that is, Hudson noticed Reagan’s gingerbread house.

“Reagan, its not supposed to look like that!”  It was horror at its finest.

With a shrug, Reagan said, “Yeah it is, Hudson!”

“No,” he insisted.  Then bringing the picture example on the box over to Reagan, he pointed to it.  “Its supposed to look like this!”

Reagan looked at Hudson, then the box, then back at her own ornament.  I could see the wheels turning in her head as she debated her response.

With classic Reagan attitude, she placed her hands on her hips and said, “I like it this way, Hudson!”

And that explains the dynamic difference of these two, this brother and sister.  One obeys the rules, likes the rules, and wants everyone to obey the rules.  The other… not so much.  They are going to drive each other nuts from now until the end of time.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
10:31 PM delete

I love this. Such a perfect picture of the two of them.

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
6:27 AM delete

Too cute!!!!

Reply
avatar
Superchikk
AUTHOR
7:12 AM delete

I have a rule follower. And I think a non-rule follower. It's definitely interesting, though I do get weary of hearing "That's not the way it's supposed to go!" ;)

Reply
avatar
11:39 AM delete

Hudson is a child of my own heart. Love rules and love following them!

Reply
avatar
7:23 PM delete

hehe, it is SO funny how different each of them are, isn't it?? those pics are too cute!

Reply
avatar
7:33 AM delete

This is soooo my oldest. He loves to say "let's read the instructions!" on a new toy or on the mac & cheese box!

Reply
avatar
7:04 PM delete

I did this internship in Michigan for a couple years and there was a list of rules that all the interns were supposed to follow. I, in general, see rules more as "guidelines" and broke almost every single one of them, most of the time it was unintentional. My fellow intern, who would eventually become closer than my own brothers to me, slept with the list of rules by his bed and would read over them at night to make sure that he didn't break any that day.

Reply
avatar