Random Sunday Updates

Sunday, November 04, 2012 7 Comments A+ a-

  • I may not post here anymore, but it sure looks pretty for Christmas. 
  • I can’t tell if I hit a blogging slump or writer’s block, but I hate that I haven’t updated as much as I have wanted.  There’s much to share…
  • For instance, I wanted to tell you that I started my antidepressants again.  After a 3-month break from my “happy” pills, it was becoming obvious that I needed them.  It could be situational (ie, Grandma dying, life, etc.) or it could be that I’ll need them the rest of my life.  I’m ok with either situation, I just need to do what’s best for me and my family.  Being able to breathe and not have anxiety/panic attacks makes me a much better wife and mother.
  • We’re gearing up for Devyn’s 8th birthday in a few weeks.  We’re attempting her first sleepover and I’m preparing the house and us for a houseful of girls (about 5 friends).  I’m awed that we’re at this stage of life already.  Sleepovers were a constant in our house growing up.
  • Devyn is turning 8 years old.  I’m near tears just typing that sentence out.  She’s growing up so fast… she’s reading Ramona books and The Babysitter’s Club.  She’s asked for Taylor Swift’s new CD for her birthday.  And I can’t believe that my baby girl is getting so big!
  • I have a whole post written in my head dedicated to this weird stage of life we’re currently in.  On one end of the spectrum, we have two children in elementary school and its surreal to take Devyn to choir practices or dropping Hudson off for school.  Then on the other end, we have a preschooler and toddler at home, one still in diapers.  Its just weird having a foot in two different stages of life. 
  • Speaking of the end of babyhood in our house…  Most days, about 98.25% of the time, I’m really happy and excited to be done with the baby stage.  Every day I see a foreshadow of life moving forward and getting excited to see our family grow up and grow closer.
  • But the other 1.75% of the time, usually when a friend announces a pregnancy or I see a cute pregnant belly, I get all sentimental and wistful.  Its hard to believe that stage of our life is over.
  • And September marked the longest I’ve gone without being pregnant.  In our whole marriage. Crazy!
  • Hudson has really bloomed this month.  During September he wasn’t too sure about this kindergarten thing.  It was harder than preschool, there was little play time, and they actually expected you to work!  Poor guy.  But October brought a new excitement about school and he’s so anxious to share with us all he’s learning.  Its been a blast to experience the differences.
  • Every day I ask the Littles two questions… What was the worst part of your day?  And what was the best part of your day?  The worst part of Hudson’s day is any day that he doesn’t have PE.  Seriously.  Kid loves himself some Physical Education. Shocking.
  • Another thing is his desire to help his daddy, in any way, shape, or form.  The days that Jon reports for 12-hour snow shift, Hudson is the one in the kitchen making his daddy a lunch.  Its really too precious for words.   Yesterday, the two of them crawled under Jon’s truck to change the oil and you could tell he was so thrilled to be a part of such a manly chore.
  • Reagan.  Oh Reagan. 
  • Really, what haven’t I already shared about this girl on social media?!  She is still as feisty and sassy as ever.  But I’m also seeing a nurturing side come out too.  She loves to help me with household chores and I really think Acts of Service is her love language.  She’s recently taken on setting the table and helping me unload the dishwasher.  In fact, often times, she beats me to it.
  • And her streak of memorizing and singing songs WAY above her comprehension level continues.  Reagan recently spent the night with her cousin Elliana, at her Aunt Alli’s house.  So it was no surprise that she came home singing Taylor Swift’s new song, We’re Never Getting Back Together.  I need to record this one too.  Because its as hysterical  as the Call Me, Maybe song.
  • Ashlynn has reached epic toddler levels.  We’re a month away from her two year birthday, but we’ve been experiencing age two attitude for about 6 weeks now.
  • The problem is she’s cute.  And she knows it.  Plus add the fact that she has three older siblings who all adore her and give her anything she wants is only making matters worse.  As the oldest of four, I always swore I’d never spoil the baby.  I’m totally eating my words now.  But she’s so darn cute!
  • Jon is as busy as ever.  This summer was one of the hardest summers he’s had since starting with CDOT almost nine years ago.  And this fall, officials all over the state are wanting to recognize him and his guys for the hard work they put in during the fire.  Jon hates it.  He hates the attention, he hates being recognized for doing what he considers his job, he’s not a fan.  And often tries to deflect the attention elsewhere.  Ha!  Sorry, dude.  Excellent leadership is hard to hide.  One proud wife over here.
  • And the winter season has begun.  He put in a few snow shifts in October, and thus begins the season that I refer to myself as a “Winter Widow”.  12 hour snow shifts are brutal on a family, especially when I’m doing the single parent thing and trying to keep Littles quiet so Jon can rest between shifts.  But its our normal, and I’m ready for it.  Bring it on, Winter.

Well, that was longer than I intended, and its obvious I haven’t updated in a while. 

Life continues to move forward, and as many promised, the loss of Grandma does seem to lessen.  Her loss is still acutely felt and I can manage the day-to-day now, but the moments when her death hits, it hits hard.  Almost paralyzing so.  This holiday season is going to be so hard, but I’m determined to make it as normal as possible for the Littles sake.  And because she would want it so…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
3:52 PM delete

LOVE the new Christmas design!
I really love random, bullet point posts too.
I can't get over how old little Devyn is getting either. It blows my mind. I imagine it is odd having to balance the elementary stage and the toddler stage.
I loved what you said about Grandma at the end. It's all so true.

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
3:53 PM delete

I LOVE your new Christmas design! It makes me want one ;)

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
6:09 PM delete

Loving your new design! I also love being updated on your life! :) I hope you'll post more, friend!

Reply
avatar
6:45 PM delete

I think I'm just going to sit here and stare at your Christmas design...LOVE IT!!! And, you are not alone I will be on "Happy" pills the rest of my life but it's what's best for me and my family!!

Reply
avatar
Kelley E.
AUTHOR
7:50 PM delete

I think it's so funny that you think your daughter's love language is "acts of service". I've been going through the book and definitely think my daughter's is "gifts". She gives me stuff ALL the time, including goldfish that she's already put in her mouth. :) Although, since she's only 1, maybe the "gifts" are just part of the stage she's going through. So much fun trying to figure out how they feel loved though. I wouldn't complain if her language ended up being "acts of service" though!
Love the new Christmas design, and love your blog!

Reply
avatar
7:31 AM delete

I will miss your posts if you stop! ;) I have been thinking about you and praying for you! Wow, I can't believe it's sleepover time! Congrats to your hubby for his great work! You're such a great wifey and mama. Hugs, friend! I hope you're having a great day!

Reply
avatar
Nancy
AUTHOR
8:04 AM delete

Love the blog!!

Reply
avatar