The Phone Call

Tuesday, September 04, 2012 16 Comments A+ a-

I have been waiting all day to write this post, wondering how this story would end.  Well, if I’m honest, I’ve been waiting for five days, but the wait only got really hard these past eight hours or so.

Let me back up…

Last Thursday was a mess.  A dear friend of mine had gotten great news, then horrible news in the span of less than hour, then surgery, then a collapsed lung, and I was on my way to her house to offer some comfort when I received the first call.

It was Mom. 

She tried to sound calm as she explained what the urologist discovered about Dad’s kidney stones.  But I could hear the underlying tension and stress in her voice.  There was no denying that there was a “but” at the end of her sentence.

“…so the doctor wants to wait to see if the 2nd stone passes on its own…”

Pause.  And not being known for my patience, I interjected, “But what?”

“They found a mass in his prostate. They want to do further tests.”

Silence.  Then all of Hades fell down around me and over the phone line.  This was it, the last and final straw.  God and I were going to have words, and it wasn’t going to be pretty.  I quickly excused myself from our conversation, not even stopping to hear the whats, wheres, and whys of the rest of that sentence.

Jon answered a call where the wife was in full meltdown mode.  I’m not sure how he managed to understand a single word in between the sobs and freaking out, but he did. And told me to get to his job as fast and as safely as I could. 

And again, I’m not sure how I managed to make it to his job, but I’m thankful for a van that can drive itself there with little guidance from me.  Once in Jon’s arms, I allowed the full weight of the implications settle over me and while I sobbed, the only question I asked was to wonder how much God thought we could take.

As the rest of the day went on, I found myself getting calmer.  I’m sure it was the results of numerous family and friends sending up prayers on our behalf.  Even just a few hours later, I was certain of two things.  One, it might not even be cancer.  And two, if it was cancer, Dad would beat it.  There was little doubt of that. 

Yesterday Dad went in for blood work and the appointment was today at 2:30pm.  I have been able to maintain a calm fa├žade for most of the past five days, but that came crashing down around 8:00am this morning because I knew today would bring the answers we’d been dreading but wanting.  The time of the appointment couldn’t get here fast enough.

I got off the phone with my parents over an hour and a half ago and I’m over the moon with the results.  His PSA numbers are less than one, which means either a) there’s no cancer at all or b) the cancer was caught SO early, it hasn’t had time to grow.  I’m quite happy with either result actually.  And we’ll know more after his biopsy next month.  (Which to be honest, the fact that they’re waiting for a month for a biopsy is further proof to me that they’re not worried.  In my expert, medical opinion, and all.)

Five days of unknown.  Five days and I somehow managed to maintain some semblance of composure.  Since the initial meltdown anyways.  I can only chalk that up to family and friends standing in the gap for us.

And now that its September 4th and the results are better than I had dared hope, let’s chalk this experience as a fitting way to end this Craptastic Summer.  I am closing the book on this whole summer and filing it under “Summers I Never Want to Repeat Again. Ever.”

The End.

Please let it really be the end this time. We need a break for a little while… at least a few months.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

16 comments

Write comments
Sonya
AUTHOR
5:44 PM delete

Waiting is always the hardest part. I'm claiming it's no cancer!

Reply
avatar
Jodi
AUTHOR
5:47 PM delete

Oh wow Jenn you have just had too much sad stuff in your family. So glad that your dad got good news. Sending prayers and hugs your way!

Reply
avatar
Cheryl Enlow
AUTHOR
5:48 PM delete

Wow Jenn, I am so sorry to hear about all your pain and heartache. Please stand by that strong faith of yours girl. Even though it will be hard he knows you can take it. You are an awesome women!

Reply
avatar
6:12 PM delete

You seriously have got to be one of the strongest women I know! (pseudo-know? haha)

I'm glad your dad's results came back the way they did!

Still in my prayers <3

Reply
avatar
Dareth
AUTHOR
6:39 PM delete

I am glad for the relief! I will be continuing to pray for more good news to keep coming at you all. Love you.

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
6:50 PM delete

Oh my what a horrible 5 days. Just went through something similar with my mom this past month. Tests, biopsy, surgery all only 8 months post cancer treatment from the diagnosis this time last year. Thankfully these results were benign.

Continuing to lift you up because you guys have had a heck of a summer.

Reply
avatar
Sarah
AUTHOR
7:25 PM delete

I'm so glad that your phone call brought positive news. It's time for things to take a turn for y'all! Praying for good things and happiness to head your way!

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
8:13 PM delete

Thankful to hear this news. I (and many others) will continue to stand in the gap whenever you need bolstering against such seemingly endless onslaughts. Praying now that God has said to the evils of this world,
Stop! No more! Back away from this family of mine!"

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
8:47 PM delete

I'm sure you've already heard this, but just remember that God will never give you more than you can handle. You're a strong woman, Jen! I'll keep you and your family in my prayers. xoxo

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:35 PM delete

Once again you did a great job of putting to words exactly how I was feeling this past week. I think I might do a post about how I'm no Job. Love you!

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
7:10 AM delete

Oh girl, my heart fell when I started reading this, but PTL for a good prognosis!! Love you!!!

Reply
avatar
Sonja
AUTHOR
8:03 AM delete

I'm so glad to hear that it's okay! You've been coming to me in my prayers a lot lately and I'm happy that you got a sense of calm and relief during those days.

God works in mysterious ways and while it may not be YOUR timing, it is always the right time for Him :)

xo

Reply
avatar
[diane]
AUTHOR
9:55 AM delete

So glad to hear your dad's prognosis was good! You must hear that "God will only give you what you can handle" but don't you wonder how/why God has so much faith in your strength? Hugs to you and here's praying for smoother days ahead!

Reply
avatar
Taylor
AUTHOR
10:26 AM delete

Oh, bless your hearts! I'm so glad you received good news and I will be praying that everything goes smooooothly for your family now! Sending you hugs!

Reply
avatar
Christy
AUTHOR
1:29 PM delete

My goodness that's a lot to have on your plate in so little time. Hugs and comfort sent your way.

Reply
avatar
Holly
AUTHOR
10:37 AM delete

Praise God for great news!!! You and your family need some more great news like that :)

Reply
avatar