My Broken Tooth

Friday, September 28, 2012 4 Comments A+ a-

Four years ago, my tooth broke in half, right along the filling edge.  Surprisingly, it wasn’t painful at all.  But like a good girl, I went to the dentist.  He confirmed the break and I scheduled a dental appointment to fix it.  Then a few days later, we found out that I was pregnant with Reagan.  Surprise!  So, I cancelled the appointment.

And never rescheduled.

This is where I get a bunch of lectures about being responsible and putting on my big girl panties.  This is where the I-told-you-so’s come into play and the speech about how if I’d fixed it back then, I wouldn’t be in this place today.  I know.  I know.  But in these four years, its never bothered me. 

Fast forward to this past Sunday. 

Mom and Dad took us out to lunch after church and we chose our favorite Mexican restaurant.  As I happily dug into the chips and salsa, I bit down on something HARD.  And the shooting pain from my jaw to my toes is nothing like I’d felt before.  I knew the day of reckoning had come.

A couple of days later, I was sitting in my dentist’s chair and was told that it was time for both a root canal and crown.  The only thing the dentist and I supposed had happened was that the chip had dislodged part of the filling that was covering the nerve and that was why I was in so much pain.  He (the dentist) was so concerned, he was adamant that I stay that afternoon and get it done.  However, I had to arrange for both child care and moolah, neither of which was accessible right that moment.  Instead I scheduled the appointment for this morning because I knew Jon would be off, and it was payday.

DentistOn the way to the dentist this morning, Jon reminded me that this time around, there would be no divorce. (Long story.  It involves my wisdom teeth, a 2:00am request, and a broken engagement.  Not even kidding.)  I faked a laugh through that and spared him a brave smile before walking into the dentist.

I wish I could say that writing the check was the most painful part of the morning (and it WAS painful), but I’d be lying.  It took four shots of novocaine to numb me.  4 shots!!  And because I was have a narrow and shallow palette (the dentist’s words, not mine), it made it extra difficult for the dentist.  There was a LOT of digging, jamming, maneuvering, and poking.  It was less than delightful, the only bright spot being that I got to watch How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days during the procedure.  It helped drown out the sound of the drilling… somewhat.

So now here I sit.  Banished to my room, with vicodin, a swollen face (Jon says you can’t even see my jawline right now), and frozen peas.  I’m hoping that in a few days the pain will be a distant memory.  But right now, I’m just trying to keep my head from moving.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
3:45 PM delete

UGH, I feel ya girl. Been there, done that... and I currently have a chipped tooth from a year and a half ago as we speak. UHHH... ABOUT THAT.

I hope your poor mouth feels better soon! (Thumbs up for getting a move during yours though. JEALOUS.)

You know root canals are bad when not even margaritas help get rid of the pain! (I know from experience haha).

Good luckkk - and just be happy that your tooth is only going to start to feel BETTER from this day on!!!

Reply
avatar
Brigitte
AUTHOR
8:46 PM delete

I am so sorry! I haven't been to the dentist in a while... Like I can't even say how long because it's so embarrassing. Good luck.

Reply
avatar
12:43 PM delete

You're making my jaw hurt from just reading this! Ouch, but glad you took care of it. Hope that's your lifetime of dental pain used up in this one instance!

Reply
avatar