Manning and The Broncos

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9 Comments A+ a-

I've been a Denver Bronco fan since the day I was born.  The story of Dad asking for the football score mid-labor and delivery when I was born is legendary.  And often told to explain the extreme of Dad's faithfulness to this team.  His love of the game and of the team has been passed down to us, and except for a short time in my teens when I loved the Raiders as a form of rebellion, I will be a Broncos fan until the day I die.

With that said, many people have seen my rants about the Tebow-Manning-Broncos debacle that happened in the spring.  Countless exchanges between family and friends, hours on the phone with brothers-in-law, folks were none too happy about my lukewarm response.  In fact the other day I posted a Facebook status reading: "I WANT to believe 90 million is worth it.  I WANT to believe that Elway's ego didn't get in the way of his GM responsibilties. I also want world peace."  I wish I could take credit for the sentiment, but I stole it from Twitter.  It was too good to not share.

Here's the deal.

I LIKE Manning.  He is, without a doubt, an amazing quarterback.  Inarguably, one of the best to the play the game of football.  He's always been one of my favorite quarterbacks to watch and I have no doubt, there's a few years left in him.  I need to make that clear, especially to my Indiana family (hi Aunt Bernie, Jared, Jason, JP).  Go Manning!

Here is where my issue lies.

90 million dollars to recruit him to play for the Broncos.  90 million dollars!  Do I think he's worth it?  I don't know, I can't answer that.  However, in my  heart, Manning is an Indiana Colt.  Always has been, always will be.  He is their franchise player, as Elway was the Broncos.  Whenever Manning talks at the press conferences post-game, I hear his voice and I expect to see a Colt uniform.  It always takes me a moment to comprehend that's a Broncos head on the platform behind him.  When it comes time for Manning to be inducted into the Hall of Fame, I have no doubt, it will be as a Colt.  As my friend Kodi says, a Manning fan or a Colts fan, buy a shirt with a horse on it and call it good.

In addition, what happened to building a team?!  An actual team, from the ground up; something that will withstand the test of time.  Is Manning an amazing quarterback?  Yes.  But he has maybe three years left in his career.  Maybe he will lead a great team in that time, but what happens when he leaves?  We're willing to start all over again with a rookie quarterback?  So we're willing to sacrifice long-term success for a few flashy years?  

IF we even get the flash.  All last spring, I was told over and over again. "Just wait. You'll see why we did this when we win the Super Bowl.  You'll see."  Now granted, we've played some strong teams these first few weeks, so I'm not giving up on my Broncos.  But there's been no plays (save for the first game of the season) that screams "Super Bowl Winners Here!"  Peyton cannot win football games by himself.  He may have all of the athletic ability in the world,  but if our guys can't catch the ball (I'm looking at you, Demaryius) we can't win games.

So there you have it.  My take and mini-rant on the Denver Broncos and Manning situation.  Do I have a leg to stand on?  Am I as schooled as the stats quoting fans?  No, I'm not.  Just one life-long fan who has an opinion.  And since I'm not afraid to share my opinion on most everything else on here, why stop at football?!  Ha!

Moving on...  Go Broncos! Please, please, PLEASE beat the Raiders on Sunday.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Vicki
AUTHOR
9:42 AM delete

To be honest, I don't think any of these players (of any sport) are worth the millions/billions they make. (and I still wish I understood Football, but I just don't get it no matter how hard I try LOL)

Reply
avatar
Allison
AUTHOR
10:31 AM delete

I love this post! I was raised a Broncos fan (my dad is from Colorado Springs), since it was before the Panthers were here. I was also a huge Tebow fan when he was at Florida, so I was SO excited when he went to the Broncos. I'm not sure the trade situation could have been handled any worse. Too bad Manning and Elway let their egos get in the way and now Tebow is playing the punt blocker in New York. He could have learned so much from both of them and the Broncos would still be so strong when Manning retires.

I have been disappointed with what I've seen of the Broncos so far. I hope they can pull it together and make the playoffs. DT needs to catch some balls, he has missed some huge plays. Maybe with another draft and off season, they will be real contenders for the Super Bowl next year (Even though no one has looked all that great this year).

Sorry for the super long post!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
11:09 AM delete

Couldn't have worded it better myself. Me being against the Tebow trade had nothing to do with disliking Manning, I just think there was a lot of ego and short term thinking involved. I think we are going to be kicking ourselves in a couple of years when we are right back where we started and Tebow is starting to really show himself as a quarterback in the NFL. End rant.

Reply
avatar
sean
AUTHOR
11:26 AM delete

It's a great post, and I politely disagree with you and Courtney. From what I've seen, $90m is a little steep for what we've seen, but I do believe 3 weeks is not enough time to judge a new qb on a team. Let's not forget that John Elway started as a Colt as well. I know it's not a fair comparison, but just saying... :)

As for 3 years from now - I still believe we are making some good decisions in the upper office. Our current backup qb is going to be a great qb in the league in my opinion - the manning, elway style qb that we need. Who better to learn from than one of, if not the greatest qb's ever. Tebow is a great guy, and I miss his charisma here in Denver. I think there is a place for him in the nfl, but I don't think being a qb is it.

I know I know. My words will fall to unlistening ears of my sisters here, but I will stand by that. I think with the combo of playing two tough teams and a qb learning a new team, we have seen a 1-2 team. He is not sitting idly by and accepting the situation - he is talking to Thomas and Decker every day. How many dropped passes have we seen? When they come around and when they are on the same page as Manning, we will see a Super Bowl-caliber team. I bleed Orange and Blue as much as anyone, and I just hope something changes for our team this season. Who knows.

Reply
avatar
12:17 PM delete

I have to agree with you. Sometimes i think man that is a lot of money to throw a ball..lol. Though i know is way more than that. I think its more about how long they can do their jobs for with the exception of some most of them are done by 30s!

Reply
avatar
Kodi
AUTHOR
12:47 PM delete

I have to say, while I really enjoyed most of this, and agreed with most of it, I really think the one fact that people are ignoring or forgetting is that even though we LOVE Tebow for his morals, he's just not NFL qb material. If he was he would've been picked up by another team in that position. Also, it's still early in the season. I think given time Peyton will mesh with the team and they'll learn to work together. Also, not to be a lemming, but these replacement refs are really affecting the game. There have been so many major upsets and a lot of the "best" teams in the NFL have losing records right now.

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
8:25 AM delete

Love it Jenn!!! You have certainly put things into perspective! I shake my head knowing that his brother is making an insane amount of money to play for my favorite team, but I still will root them on- I guess it is what it is huh? PS- I miss you! I wish I lived in Denver versus just visiting because I am convinced we would be great friends! xo

Reply
avatar
6:26 PM delete

I used to not like Manning at all because I thought he was full of himself. Then, I started watching football with my husband and after watching numerous games {and actually paying attention} I realized that he was an INCREDIBLE quarterback and developed a deep respect for him. But, I totally agree with you... if you're trying to build a team, you can't just depend on a quarterback, and Peyton will ALWAYS be a Colt. But, all that to say... what did you think when Tebow was on the team? I really wish that they would have kept him around and just let him learn under Manning... that would've been one heck of an awesome opportunity for Tebow.

Reply
avatar
3:02 AM delete

jenn you reminded me of one of many incidents close to my heart. However, I don't follow football much. Its cricket!
Team building

Reply
avatar