Dear Devyn & Co

Monday, September 17, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-

PlayDateCollage

Dear Devyn & Co,

As I write this, the four of you are chowing down on grilled cheese sandwiches during a living room picnic, while listening to Disney Friends on Pandora.  Every so often, a song comes on that you all know and a contest of who can sign it the loudest ensues.  S, I know you caught the look in my eyes and the tears that threatened to fall down my cheeks.  I’m sure you’re confused why Devyn’s mommy is so sentimental today.  Let me tell you…

I have had the privilege of watching the four of you grow up together.  From preschoolers to second graders, it has been an honor to watch each of you grow and change into the beautiful girls I see today.  Its been fascinating to watch personalities develop, to watch friendships grow and change, to watch you learn the abc’s to reading Diary of a Wimpy Kid, from singing Disney princess songs to Hannah Montana and Taylor Swift songs. 

It makes my mama heart tender… knowing how fast its changed and knowing how much lies ahead of you beautiful girls.

It’s a rocky road ahead…  one filled with hurt feelings, mean girls, uncertainties, changing relationships, good and bad decisions.  Its going to be a roller coaster, dear girls.  One that will cause both you and your mamas plenty of heartache, and I assure you that each mama would gladly take this from you if we could.  But growing up is hard work and can only be done by you.

I want to bottle this time up forever.  This time of baking cookies, little girl giggles, picnic lunches, and carefree dancing.  Its going so fast and I want to freeze time, to save this innocence.  I’ve come to love each one of you, I am thankful for the strengths that each of you bring to this close-knit group.  I can’t assure you or myself that this group will always remain tight-knit, but I can assure you that when I think of Devyn’s childhood, I will think of you.  And smile.

Love,
One Thankful, Sentimental Mama

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
1:55 PM delete

Aww, so sweet! Time IS flying by. I see it in your kids and in my own, even though we are 4 years behind you. I'm actually doing a somewhat similar post today. This is a beautiful time in their lives and I hope these girls are able to remain close friends through it all.

Reply
avatar
8:23 PM delete

love those pictures.Love that you wrote this as a letter, so one day when they are older they can read this entry.Devyn is old this letter could be read and know how you felt at that time. You made me teary just reading it.
XOXO E

P.S. I kind of got teary reading it.

Reply
avatar
12:17 PM delete

This post made me tear up and I don't even have babies yet!!

Reply
avatar