Confessions in Munchkin Land

Friday, September 14, 2012 7 Comments A+ a-

secret_pic

  • My car is a mess.  A certifiable health hazard.  But it comes to the rescue more times than I can count.  A trip to the mountains, forgot long-sleeved shirts?  I have boys or girls clothing.  Forgot to put on shoes before leaving the house?  Do you need size 3, 7, 10 or 12?  I wish I were kidding.

  • As I doled out sandwiches mid-errands yesterday, I realized I was a sandwich short.  Instead of the pb+j the others got, Ashlynn made do with the 4 vanilla cookies.  Don’t feel sorry for her, she was more than happy to make the sacrifice.

  • I’m sure that any leftover lunches were promptly thrown on the floor of the van.  Hence the first confession above.  I’m terrified to step back and there and see what new mold the Littles have scientifically created.

  • I was inspired by Courtney’s wreath making tutorial and convinced that this time would be different, I trotted the three younger Littles through Hobby Lobby while I pretended to know what I was doing and what I was looking for.  I failed.  Miserably.  We left with some wheat stalks and 2 scarecrows.  They were haphazardly carefully placed in a ceramic vase by our front door.  And THAT is the extent of my crafting experience.  It’s further convinced me that I’m missing the Craft gene.

  • I have great intentions when it comes to bringing meals to families with new babies.  However, great intentions do not translate well to actions.  I can’t tell you how many times I’ve forgotten to bring a meal on a night I was scheduled to do so.  Its quite humiliating actually.  Thankfully, I remembered last night.  At the last minute.  It wasn’t the thoughtful, home cooked meal I wanted to bless them with, but at least I remembered at all.  Oy.  Thank you for being so gracious about it, Brock and Kristen!  And congrats on your beautiful baby boy!

  • I’m a spender.  I married a spender.  It’s a horrible combination.  If I pass on anything to my children, it’ll be to marry the opposite of what they are.  There’s something to be said for balance.  Especially in finances!

  • I’m a natural consequences kind of parent.  If my child is repeatedly told not to tip back in their chair and continues to do so anyway, I figure that gravity will be a better teacher than I.  And 9 times out of 10, once they’ve fallen and gotten hurt, they won’t do it again.

  • And lastly.  I reposted a friend’s Facebook post yesterday, and I’m reposting it here too.  It bears repeating:

"You know that mom in the store pushing a screaming toddler in the cart while a wild preschooler is touching everything in sight and antagonizing the screaming toddler? The mom who looks defeated, and isn't even trying to stop the madness? The one you look at disapprovingly and list all the solutions to her bad parenting in your head as you walk by? I was that mom today. And I have the same list running through my head, only each of the brilliant and "obvious" suggestions are crossed out in red ink, having already failed me. Practice trumps theory. You see, the thing is, most moms are intelligent problem-solvers, just like you. And we want it to stop more than everyone else in the store combined. So save your looks. Save your mental commentary. Just finish your shopping trip and enjoy your quiet drive home. Thanks."

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

7 comments

Write comments
Kodi
AUTHOR
10:14 AM delete

I love the "natural parenting" approach that you take. I think you're pretty much a genius for your stomping up and down the stairs punishment.

Reply
avatar
10:42 AM delete

It sounds like you're doing a stellar job to me! :)

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
12:22 PM delete

For what it's worth friend, you're a rock star!! You never cease to amaze and how you pull it all off just blows my mind! You are fabulous!!!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:37 PM delete

I love that story you shared about the crying kids in the grocery store. I think it would be good for everyone to read. Parent or not.
I love your honesty. Life with kids is most definitely messy but most definitely worth it!
When I talk to moms with older children I often hear them say "Why did I care so much about a clean house back then? I wish I had sat down and played with them more." I'm trying to remind myself of this often. :)

Reply
avatar
10:23 AM delete

I'm convinced I don't have the craft gene either. But a few months ago, my sister-in-law gave me a wreath-making lesson and I was so surprised that I could actually DO IT! It was a simple process, and I only used a few materials (a foam form, felt, ribbon, hot glue gun, buttons). I did a post about it on my blog if you're interested. It's hanging on our front door now and it's giving me hope I can be a little crafty if I really try!

Reply
avatar
Addie
AUTHOR
7:45 PM delete

You're amazing. Natural parenting...genius. The momma in me wants to protect from EVERYTHING, which isn't always best.

Reply
avatar
MommaBird.net
AUTHOR
10:17 PM delete

Perfect FB Post. I would love to have that printed out and wear it like a sandwich board when I am out shopping and my toddler is melting down.

Reply
avatar