Revisiting a Good Reminder

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 2 Comments A+ a-

I originally posted this in May of 2011 and as I’ve been dealing with some stuff lately, I need this reminder.  Hoping it speaks to you too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

One reason we struggle with insecurity: We’re comparing our behind-the-scenes to everyone else’s highlight reel.” Steven Furtick

I saw this quoted on Twitter today and wow, it resonated with me.  I often look around me and there are so many mommies and women that just seem to have their act together.  They have everything scheduled and organized, they know what’s due when and have meals planned out weeks in advance.  I look at them and feel like I missed that class somehow. 

Then there are times when I mention a grocery trip with the Littles, or days with picnics or swimming or snowball fights, and I’m told that I’m Super Mom or someone’s hero.  It makes me cringe inside because I feel like I’ve led them to believe that I have it all together, that I’m someone I’m not.  If only they knew the real stuff, my day-to-day, my behind the scenes.  So without further ado, my-behind-the-scenes for your enjoyment.  Or to at least make you feel better about your own mothering and/or housekeeping.

  • I’m great at washing/cleaning laundry.  It’s the folding and putting away that I struggle with.  On any given day, you will find 4-5 loads of clean clothes sitting on my laundry room floor.
  • Dinner is often a last-minute decision, where I then scramble to come up with something, anything.  And often rely on one of four fall-back meals.
  • My children are babysat by the TV more often than I care to admit.
  • The beds in the Littles’ room are rarely made, and if they are made, we’re probably having company over.
  • Timeouts can very well be a discipline tactic, but there are times I’m sure its more for their safety than discipline.  Those are the times I have to step away, take a few deep breaths, and calm myself.
  • Should you decide to stop by and say hi, you will more than likely find a half-dressed child with unkempt hair, two or more children squabbling, a crying baby, floors that beg to be vacuumed or swept (despite the fact that I’d already done it twice before that day), and a mama with dwindling patience.
  • I’m often asking for forgiveness after I’ve yelled at the Littles, or punished one for something that was done by another, for being grouchy, too hard, too impatient, too busy, too… whatever.
  • For every time that I praise Jon in public, there are three or four times I’ve nagged him into completing an item off my “honey do” list.  There are times I’m just plain mean to him, and vice versa.
  • The Littles have worn clothes for two days in a row.
  • Bills are often paid late.
  • I still have moments that I want to climb in my car, roll the windows down, crank the music, and just drive.  By myself. For hours.

I didn’t write this to be hard on myself, because there is plenty I do right too.  But I have a behind-the-scenes, just as you do, and I wanted you to get a glimpse of mine.  I think a little reality check now and then is good for the soul.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Lori Spencer
AUTHOR
1:57 PM delete

In real estate I've been taught "don't compare your insides to other peoples outsides". This can apply to all areas of life and I'm so glad there are more women out there willing to be honest. But it is easy to get swept up In comparing how you really feel with everyone's portrayal of their lives. If we all were really the way it looked on Facebook there would be no war or world hunger, only love, peace and perfectly cleaned houses and well behaved children 24/7!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:34 PM delete

I can relate to so many of those bullet points. I love that you share the good and the bad on here. I also like what Lori said above.

Reply
avatar