A Strong Contender

Thursday, July 19, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-

IMG_20120719_151412Even though I’d just finished explaining to Reagan that “a little bit of sass is a good thing, a lot of sass will get her in trouble” (to which she now repeats back to me), I know that we have another strong contender closing ranks on the lead for “Most Strong Willed".  Her introduction would probably go something like this…
 
Hi.  My name is Ashlynn.  I’m the youngest of 4 kids and thought I might look petite and adorable, I assure you that looks can be deceiving.  If my older siblings can do it, I can do it better.  I may be small in size, but I have a will that more than makes up for it.  If anyone thinks they’re going to leave me behind, they’d better think again.
 
I wish I were kidding.
 
Just tonight, as I was tucking Hudson into bed, during the whole bedtime prayer, Ashlynn was kicking her legs against the side of the crib and against the window blinds.  After Hudson has finished, I leaned down into her face and told her no.  If she did it again, I was going to swat her hand.
 
She smiled innocently, so I turned back to Hudson to finish our bedtime routine.  Then I heard a strong kick.  I turned around and there she stood, all innocence and sweetness. She smiled at me and kept smiling until I swatted her hand.  Then she looked at me in horror, while big, crocodile tears trailed down her cheek.
 
I turned my back, and she kicked again.  Then I swatted her hand.  Big, crocodile tears.  Three more times of this. 
 
I finally leaned back down, and sternly said, “Ashlynn Rose. Enough! Do not kick the blinds again.”  Without taking her eyes from mine, she lifted those cute, toddler legs and kicked.
 
Y’all. I thought parenting was supposed to get easier as time goes on.  Me thinks that our most trying times are coming at the end, in the form of two sisters, just 23 months apart. 
 
 



But I leave you with a recording of Reagan’s bed time prayer.  I adore this girl, as sassy and strong willed as she is, she is also sweet.  And perfectly Reagan.  Enjoy!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Mindy
AUTHOR
9:16 PM delete

Oh my gracious. Her prayer is so beautiful. What a memory to capture and cherish. Wow.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:07 PM delete

Oh! That prayer!! I LOVE it! And yes, I think Reagan and Ashlynn are going to be your Alli and Courtney and are going to keep you hopping.

Reply
avatar
6:26 AM delete

What a sweet prayer! That is so cute!

She sounds like a pistol ;)

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
2:20 PM delete

could that be any sweeter? oh my goodness!!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
6:10 PM delete

Jeremy and I are DYING over that prayer!!! Oh my gosh, that is a keepsake forever!

Reply
avatar