The Time Has Come: How We Can Help

Sunday, June 24, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-

I’m tired of feeling helpless while we watch our mountains burn.  I’m tired of the heartache as I see picture after picture of displaced neighbors and exhausted firefighters.  I’m tired of sitting here and doing nothing.  So the time has come to do something about it.

I’ve had a number of friends, families, and even bloggers across the country ask how they can help.  Please do not feel pressured in any way to send what you cannot, prayers are as greatly needed as monetary donations or goods!  Here’s the plan…

I’m going to open up donations until next Sunday, July 1st.  Here’s what I will be doing with the donations…

For the evacuees:

  • adult and infant diapers
  • wipes
  • personal hygiene items
  • new, packaged underwear
  • non-perishable food
  • dog/cat food
  • new bedding
  • laundry and cleaning supplies
  • trash bags
  • work glovers
  • rakes/shovels

All will be dropped off at a local drop-off site.  If you’re local and what to deliver these goods yourself, they’re accepting the donations at the old Mervyn’s location. 

For the firefighters:

  • chapstick
  • visine
  • Gatorade/sports drinks

Its come to our attention that firefighters are visiting a local King Soopers store and buying these items every morning out of their own pockets.  Part of the donations will go to stock up on these items and have them readily available at the store for whenever they stop in.

If you’re uncomfortable with sending money to a virtual stranger, you can always donate at these organizations too. 

In addition to monetary donations, I’m also planning to include letters/cards for the evacuees and firefighters.  If you, or your littles, want to send a “thinking/praying for you” to the evacuees or “thank you” to the firefighters, email me at biggest_blessings(at)yahoo.com and I’ll send you a mailing address where you can send those and I’ll be sure to include them in the donations I drop off.

** If you’re local and want to include donations/goods, please feel free to drop them off here at our house and we’ll take your items with the rest of ours.

So to sum everything up…

  • If you want to donate money to a fund for physical items/goods for evacuees or firefighters, you can Paypal money to biggest_blessings(at)yahoo.com.  Please mark High Park Fire in the notes somewhere.  There’s already $100 in the account to start us off, and I’ll be accepting donations until next Sunday, July 1st.
  • That following week, I’ll be purchasing and delivering goods for both evacuees and firefighters.
  • If you want to include a thank-you or thinking-of-you card, letter, or pictures, email me at biggest_blessings(at)yahoo.com for our mailing address.

I think that’s it.  Thank you to those who have asked and offered help, it was just the push we needed to get a little something organized.  And thank you in advance!  For prayers, for donations, for thinking of Colorado.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Erin
AUTHOR
5:17 PM delete

Just so you know, the majority of the firefighters will be reimbursed for what they buy out of pocket...it's what I do for a living. But, they will absolutely love anything you are able to gather for them. Thank you so much!

Reply
avatar
Lindsay
AUTHOR
8:21 PM delete

This is great, thanks for posting it!

Reply
avatar
2:51 PM delete

You're awesome Jenn!

Reply
avatar