Out of the Mouths of Babes

Sunday, June 24, 2012 8 Comments A+ a-

In the seven and a half years that I’ve been a mother to Devyn, I can’t begin to count the number of times I’ve heard God speak to me through her lips.  There is a depth to Devyn’s faith that is incomprehensible for a seven-year-old girl.  I’ve written numerous stories about how Devyn has taught me something new about God, especially what its like to have “faith like a child”.  For every story I’ve written about Devyn, there’s 4-5  more stories that I haven’t shared. So now, when Devyn starts talking about God, I know enough to stop, to shut my mouth, and listen.  Really listen.  Because usually what she’s about to share is more profound than she is aware.

Last night it happened again.  We had pulled into a parking lot to watch the orange glow against the night sky, Hudson and Devyn were as awed as Jon and I, watching the flames lick at the black night.  Its been a heartbreaking two weeks as we’ve watched our beloved state burn.

And from the back, Devyn says, “I know why God’s not sending the rain.”

Jon and I exchanged a side-long look.  “What do you mean, Babe?” I asked her.

“I mean…. We don’t need to be praying for rain.  He’s not going to send it.”

Another side-long look with the Daddy.  Jon opened his mouth this time and even though I put my hand on his arm to stop him, he said, “Devyn, honey, God’s not punishing us.  This isn’t a punishment from God.”

Devyn vehemently shook her head.  “No. That’s not what I mean.”  I lifted my finger to my mouth in a “shhhhh” gesture and shook my head at Jon when he started to speak again.

Devyn continued, “What I mean is… God’s not going to send the rain until He’s ready. He already knows when He’s going to send rain, so we don’t need to pray for it.  It’ll happen when its supposed to and its not time yet.” 

So it was then that we decided to pray for protection for the firefighters, comfort for the evacuees, wisdom for the commanders, and the presence of God for all affected.  The rain will come, and I while it hurts every time I see a flare up or plume of smoke or see pictures, Devyn helped me realize than even in the midst of all this devastation, God’s hand is still on it.  We just need to trust and have faith that He’ll arrive just when he’s supposed to.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
2:24 PM delete

What a special girl you have! I will start praying for those things as well.

Reply
avatar
Christina
AUTHOR
2:59 PM delete

That made me cry

Reply
avatar
Kendra
AUTHOR
6:30 PM delete

Beautiful perspective. Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Praying constantly for everyone involved!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
10:10 PM delete

Love that girl. She is so wise beyond her years!

Reply
avatar
12:09 PM delete

Wow that gave me chills. That little girl is destined in so many ways to do God's work and be insanely special.

Reply
avatar
2:53 PM delete

Wise words from a 7 year old <3

Have you read the book "Heaven Is For Real"? It's astounding the way the little saw God.

Reply
avatar
Lauren
AUTHOR
8:12 AM delete

Whoooooooa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply
avatar
Lindsay
AUTHOR
8:28 AM delete

Wow! A child's faith is an amazing thing!

Reply
avatar