Fire by Numbers

Thursday, June 21, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-

When I last left you, we were in the beginning stages of the High Park Fire.  Here’s some numbers of the fire thus far…

  • 68,200 acres burned
  • 55% contained
  • 189 homes destroyed
  • 1900 fire personnel
  • 135 fire engines
  • 18 helicopters
  • 1.3 million gallons of water used
  • 19.6 million in damages

It is one of the saddest things to happen to my hometown.  Since the federal government has taken over the management of the fire, Jon’s role has been minimal.  Until yesterday.  I’m still not sure how I feel about him being given a fire retardant uniform and is now considered part of the emergency response crew.  Awesome. 

But he did get to see his road for the first time in almost two weeks and I can honestly say that it was a relief for him to see everything up close and personal.  He has a lot of work ahead of him in the months to come, but he says its not  as bad he’d feared. 

Please continue to join us in praying for rain and the safety of all the firefighters.  And I leave you with some pictures Jon took while in the canyon yesterday.

PicsArt_1340235125029

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Meghan
AUTHOR
1:20 PM delete

Holy cow! I cannot believe the destruction - I am most definitely going to say a prayer!

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
2:43 PM delete

I've been thinking of you guys often! I'll continue to pray as well!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:39 PM delete

So very sad.

Reply
avatar