The Blogging Monster

Tuesday, June 05, 2012 19 Comments A+ a-

Every so often, I notice that I’m suddenly more irritable, depressed, snarky, and downright petty.  Its not an attractive look on me, and its becomes even more irritating when I can’t pinpoint the source. But usually, I need not look any further than this little ol’ space of mine. I’d like to introduce you to what I not-so-lovingly refer to as “the blogging monster”.

It comes in all shapes and forms.  Jealousy, envy, bitterness, depression, doubt, self-righteousness, pride.  Ahh yes, the Blogging Monster.  Its no friend of mine, or yours.

I think most of us can relate.  Its that moment…

  • when you wonder why you don’t have more followers.
  • when you wonder why you even bother posting because obviously, no one cares to read.
  • when you fall into a deep funk because the post you spent hours on received 1 or 2 comments, but the post you threw together in 10 seconds flat, received over 20.
  • when you read a post on another blog and think to yourself “At least I don’t do that…” or “If he/she were more knowledgeable/better informed/knew what I knew, they would NOT do that or do it that way.” Its self-righteousness at its finest.
  • wonder why your family can’t cooperate for one darn minute so you can perfectly document this amazing moment that the world MUST KNOW ABOUT.
  • you want the magic formula to successful blogging, and you want it now.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the point.  Let me preface this, I have been there!  The Blogging Monster rears its ugly little head at least 4-6 times a year for me.  And it usually takes a good week or two to reign it in and get myself in the right frame of mind again. Obviously I’m so knowledgeable about the Blogging Monster because I’ve experienced it. Too many times to count.

So here’s a few notes on how I kick this unwelcome guest to the curb.

  1. Accept that these feelings, while not fun or good, are perfectly normal. I dare say that perhaps even bigger bloggers feel them from time to time. (I could be totally wrong about this one. Who knows.)
  2. While there is nothing wrong with wanting to be a successful blogger, or wanting a larger following, or wanting to monetize your blog, don’t let it define who you are. You shouldn’t allow your blog to define you as a success or failure. There will always be someone with a bigger audience than you, as well as someone with a smaller audience.
  3. Get back to the joy of blogging. Remember why you started in the first place, pinpoint which posts made you happiest and why. Step back from the blogging “have to’s” for a week or so and post purely for you.
  4. Be genuine. People will be drawn to your blog when you are being true to yourself.
  5. Blogging is as sporadic as you can get. Truly. It is a hit and miss wonder. Both with the success of blogs and the popularity of posts. If there was a magic blogging formula available, I assure you that everyone would be using it.
  6. Don’t take blogging too seriously. Despite how it can feel from time to time, I assure you, its not a life or death situation.

There you have it.  My introduction to, and the death knell of, the "Blogging Monster”. I hope its stay is a short one with you and yours.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

19 comments

Write comments
10:26 AM delete

I went through a phase of trying to post things similar to other popular bloggers. It wasn't me and I think people could tell. So I'm back to being myself on my blog. Even if no one ever comments again. (which of course would suck...haha)

Reply
avatar
10:36 AM delete

This is so true! Thank you so much for posting about this and how to kick it in the butt :)

Reply
avatar
Becky
AUTHOR
10:52 AM delete

Such truth and insight in the post! My Blogging Monster always rises up when I forget that my blog is for ME, not for anyone else, ya know?

Reply
avatar
Addie
AUTHOR
10:54 AM delete

So true. When I post something and see that there are no comments but many have viewed it, it makes me quite self-conscious! Then I remember that I'm blogging for me, and not for anyone else. Maybe I've helped someone that read, and was afraid to comment. :)

Reply
avatar
11:25 AM delete

Well said Jenn. I agree completely and I'm wondering why I have never clicked "follow" on your blog since I have been reading along for almost 2 years. Sorry about that! Love, love your posts, photos etc... You are a fabulously talented writer.

I'm putting together my photos and specs for my new blog design. Thanks again. You are getting to mine quicker than I expected. Woohoo!

Warmly, ~Melissa :)

Reply
avatar
12:26 PM delete

Such a wonderful post!

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
12:28 PM delete

Oooohhhhh.....see *I* thought the blog monster was that nasty person that almosy ALWAYS makes it a point to comment not nice comments & stalks the blog daily (thankyouverymuch sitemeter). ;)

You are awesome....blog on! <3

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
12:28 PM delete

Oooohhhhh.....see *I* thought the blog monster was that nasty person that almosy ALWAYS makes it a point to comment not nice comments & stalks the blog daily (thankyouverymuch sitemeter). ;)

You are awesome....blog on! <3

Reply
avatar
O Mama Mia
AUTHOR
12:29 PM delete

Oooohhhhh.....see *I* thought the blog monster was that nasty person that almosy ALWAYS makes it a point to comment not nice comments & stalks the blog daily (thankyouverymuch sitemeter). ;)

You are awesome....blog on! <3

Reply
avatar
12:35 PM delete

My blog monster is taunting me right now. I really want to discover some new reads because some of my old standbys haven't been speaking to me lately. Perhaps I will take a look at your commenters & favorites, since I definitely feel like you were speaking to me through this post!

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
12:53 PM delete

It's so fun when it's a way to keep a journal for years to come, and I had a period where I felt like where I was just doing it for the followers and it's like no, this doesn't make me happy anymore.

& now, I write what I want, when I want, how I want, and I'm happy :)

Good to know I'm not the only person who struggles with this!

Reply
avatar
Molly
AUTHOR
1:04 PM delete

I needed to read this post! I've just been out of things to say and feeling so guilty for not posting. Sometimes I forget I blog because I want to, not because I have to.

Reply
avatar
Vicki
AUTHOR
3:15 PM delete

This post came at the perfect time for me as I'm dealing with a bit of my own visit from the Blog Monster at the moment .... I know it will pass soon enough though ;)

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
5:05 PM delete

Ahhh, the Blog Monster - I know him! ;) This was a great post Jenn, and one I think we can all relate to, even the big blogs, like you said!

"Be genuine. People will be drawn to your blog when you are being true to yourself." - this quote couldn't be more true!!!

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
8:37 PM delete

I absolutely agree...and can relate. Honestly, I've noticed for myself lately, however, that the more I really pour my heart into a post...where I express my honest feelings...that gets more feedback. And that feels good. But so often, like you said, we find something - anything - in other bloggers that we feel we lack...we try to measure up...we ask why we aren't as successful, etc...and it drags us down.

I think your 6th note is the most important one to remember. :)

Reply
avatar
Lori Spencer
AUTHOR
9:16 PM delete

SO true! :-) Thank you for sharing this.

Reply
avatar
10:04 PM delete

Loved finding your blog! I have 4 littles, too. They look about the same ages as yours. :) Fun finding mommas in the same stage of life. Have a blessed day!! :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:42 AM delete

What a great post! And one I needed to read. I'm currently struggling with the Blog Monster. I thought all of your advice was great.

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
3:07 PM delete

It is so hard not to take things personally online, especially when you put it all out there. I continually struggle with the blogging monster. I take things to heart and doubt myself based on what friends are following my blog, which ones are not. It is really very silly. Thanks for this post. It is kind of nice to see bloggers I look up to (like you) struggle with this too...you know what I mean?

Reply
avatar