A Whirlwind of a Week

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 4 Comments A+ a-

  • I don’t have much time for anything this week, its packed full.  We just got back from spending Memorial Day at the family cabin.  Three days of no plumbing, an outhouse, no cell phone reception, no internet. In a word, divine.
  • The moment we returned yesterday, we showered and went to Denver for a BIL’s 30th birthday party.  We got back home after bed time and the Littles went straight to bed.
  • Today was Hudson’s second to last day of preschool (sob) and a field trip to a local park.  I honestly don’t even remember dressing him, let alone dropping him off with shoes and matching socks.
  • Tomorrow night Hudson graduates from pre-k. I thought it might get easier with each child, but alas, that’s not the case. I’m mourning the passing of another milestone.
  • Then Thursday is our big one, the 10 year celebration. We are in high anticipation of our weekend away, but there are still several things to be done…
    1. Wash the clothes from the cabin weekend.
    2. Make reservations for the various restaurants and outings we’re planning to do.
    3. Pack the Littles for a full weekend with Nana and Papa.
    4. Write out my packing list, which includes a trip to a book store because oh my word, I get to read! Without interruption!
    5. Clean out the van for my parents to use. (And anyone that knows us, really knows us, knows that job will take at least week.)
    6. Pick up my father-in-law’s Porsche for the weekend. (I’m not even a car girl and I’m ridiculously excited to be in a non-mom mobile.)
    7. And if I’m feeling motivated, clean the house top to bottom. (Nah! We all know that’s not going to happen.)
  • Devyn’s last day of school is Friday and while a part of me is sad to be missing her last day of 1st grade, I know this getaway is important for us.  But I’m still awed that our baby girl is going to be a 2nd grader.
  • Jon and I researching ways to cut out bills. One way we’re researching is getting rid of our cable and buying one of these, along with a subscription to Hulu Plus or Netflix. We’re also pricing new internet options, which will be a savings of almost $70/month. I’m ok with that.
  • We’ve finished the Dave Ramsey study and will be spending part of this week figuring out budgets as we start to implement the things we learned into our every day life. I’m scared as all get out, but this is going to be good for us.
  • And yes, I realize that doing a budget is probably one of the least romantic ways to spend our anniversary weekend getaway. But we’ll take advantage of any kid-free time to concentrate on this, that we can.
  • Long before Instagram came into the picture, and along with it, the photo-a-day challenge, I did photo-a-day for a month, twice.  I’m going to do it again this June, and while it won’t be nearly as interesting as the Instagam challenge, I enjoy looking back and seeing what our life was like in the day-to-day.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

4 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:53 AM delete

Your to-do list gives me anxiety. And yay for photo-a-day months! Make it good.

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
9:01 AM delete

Budgeting may seem unromantic, but I can tell you, since Jarrod and I started with Dave Ramsey last December, I've seen a change in our marriage (for the good, in case that isn't obvious). It may not be romantic, but it will help make your marriage stronger, and bring you closer. :) Way to go!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
2:16 PM delete

I'm feeling a little anxiety over what our next 10 or so days look like too.
That is so great that you guys get to borrow the Porsche for your getaway. How fun!
I totally understand taking advantage of kid-free time so I say do what you got to do but make sure you have some fun too. ;)
Have a fantastic 10th Anniversary trip!

Reply
avatar
Lori Spencer
AUTHOR
8:13 PM delete

Girl stick with Dave! My husband and I went to the class and then, in the fashion of two spenders, didn't follow the program! Needless to say after our last money meltdown, we decided to implement! Good luck!

Reply
avatar