This, That, and the Other

Monday, May 21, 2012 6 Comments A+ a-

Remember this post?  It was just a little over four weeks ago that we spent our Sunday afternoon playing in the mountains.  Our beloved, Colorado mountains.IMG_20120422_140212

Then last Monday a fire broke out. It burned 7,685 acres of land and is now 85% contained.  Because of the nature of Jon’s job, and the fact that he’s acting junior foreman this month, he was gone most of the week.  Seriously, I think he’s put in a good 60 hours last week.  He got some amazing photos while he was in and out of the canyon.  And I did my best to forget where he was and what he was doing.  Land of Denial. Population: Me.

WildfireCollageBut thankfully, the fire is coming to an end...

-------------------------------------------------

I’m sure people are tired of reading about our family.  I’m sure there’s a lot of “Okay, we get it. You love your family. Sheesh!”  But when you go through 8+ years of hard times, you appreciate the good times.  And we’re really, REALLY appreciating the good times.  So while I’d love to apologize for boring you all with this stuff. I can’t. God is just too good.

Last week Dad called me with a favor to ask.  He’d make plans for their 34th wedding anniversary that included a movie and dinner at Mom’s favorite restaurant, The Melting Pot.  But because he couldn’t get away from Mom between the movie and dinner, he asked if I’d be willing to pick 34 roses and deliver them to the restaurant before their reservations.

Excuse me while I pick my jaw up off the floor.

This is not the dad I grew up with.  He doesn’t have a romantic bone in his body.  Usually Mom was the one making plans and surprising him.  If Mom wanted romance, we often joked that she’d plan it, tell him what do, then act surprised.  Or it was up to us girls to hint at what she wanted.  And when that didn’t work, we had to just come out and tell him.  This is the man that waits until 4:00pm on Christmas Eve to start worrying about gifts for Mom.

So the fact that a) he made these plans all by himself, b) he made the reservations all by himself, and c) he planned ahead, made every single one of his daughters swoon.  I can’t begin to tell you how amazing it is to have my parents in this place, especially after the hard years.   I can only tell you that this is what redemption looks like; why faithfulness to vows is important when you don’t want to be faithful to the person. 

IMG_20120520_154606I could go on, trust me, I have a whole post’s worth on this subject alone, but I just had to share.  And talking to my mom this morning, you’d think Dad had given her the moon.  It was girly giddiness at its finest.

-------------------------------------------------

And all this talk of love and marriage and giddiness is not helping my restlessness and excitement over our upcoming anniversary trip.  T-minus 10 days and counting…  SteamboatCollage

-------------------------------------------------

And I leave you with a new favorite picture of my oldest and youngest.  I came into the living room this morning to find two of my loves laying just like this.  Suffice it to say, my heart melted.IMG_20120521_081145

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
2:00 PM delete

Funny you should mention that...my dad has never, ever been even remotely close to romantic. And lately, oh my word, he's like a different man! My mom is thrilled...and a little confused :-)The just had their 28th anniversary. At most, he usually picks up a card. If he's feeling extra lovey, some flowers. This year, they went out for a romantic dinner to one of the areas nicest restaurants! And he wore a suit!!!! I still can't believe it.

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
6:13 PM delete

Aww! Your dad is such a sweetheart. I love this story. And please keep sharing all about your family. I adore each story.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
11:13 PM delete

I love this post! Except for the fire of course. Glad it's almost gone.
I can't get over what Dad did! Seriously, who is that man?! I'm glad Mom was so surprised and giddy about it. :)
That picture of Devyn and Ashlynn is ADORABLE! I think they look a LOT alike in that photo.

Reply
avatar
Angie
AUTHOR
7:50 AM delete

I was so sad to hear about the fires in your state. It breaks my heart. I'm glad they are mostly contained. The last picture is precious! It is a 'framer' for sure!

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
7:05 PM delete

Your dad's anniversary surprise for your mom is just too sweet! Seriously brought tears to my eyes!

Also, don't ever stop writing about your family! I love your family stories!!

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
2:28 PM delete

I love that story about your dad. It gives me hope that at some point men finally do get it!!

Reply
avatar