Settling Into Us

Tuesday, May 08, 2012 9 Comments A+ a-

I wrote a post in 2007 where I was trying to describe the transition from couple with a child to becoming a family.  The title of that post was “Growing Into Us” and these past ten years, that’s exactly what our family has been doing… growing. 

UsCollageFrom newlyweds, to a couple with one child, to a family of four, then five, and finally six.  Its been a process involving pregnancy, adjusting to the addition of a new family member, weaning, then repeating three more times.  During those years, it was truly just a matter of survival, trying to figure out what worked best in the moment, balancing on a precariously high beam, falling, then getting up and trying again.

Its been a whirlwind of ten years!  Sometimes I can’t even remember what we were like before children and trying to remember the first few months of each newborn is a fog.  Thankfully I have the archives to go back and remember those times.

But something has shifted in recent months.

I can’t tell you if it’s the finality of being done with the baby stage… Or if its venturing out in search of a home church on our own… Or if its just the passing of time…  But we’re settling into us.

No longer does it feel like we’re treading water, simply surviving from newborn to newborn.  We’re actually figuring this family thing out.  We’re figuring out what what family means to us, what strengths each adult and child brings to the family.  No longer do we feel confined to the house for naptimes or feeding times, we’re actually venturing out in search of activities that we can all enjoy.

Devyn and Hudson are developing into little people… Gone are the days of preschool and kindergarten where Mama and Daddy know everything.  In its place are Littles with new ideas and theories, throwing out questions and sometimes answers.  They’re realizing that we don’t know everything, and even of the stuff we do know, they might have different feelings about it.  Its been a fascinating process to watch develop.  And one, I might add, that’s been a little harder to swallow than I thought it would.

It’s a little different, having one foot in the elementary years stage and another in the toddler/preschool stage.  Even stranger to have no newborn/baby on the horizon.  June 1st will mark the longest I’ve gone without being pregnant.  I thought I’d be sad, and I am a little.  More nostalgic than anything else.  But I’m truly enjoying watching this family of ours evolve into our own nucleus. 

There’s really nowhere I’d rather be, than with this family of six.  We can be doing nothing or anything, it doesn’t matter to me.  This family completes me in a way I never thought possible.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And I must leave you with this story… Further proof this family of mine is growing up.

Jon and the three older Littles pulled into the parking lot, where they were meeting my parents who were taking them to a birthday party.  Devyn clamored into the front seat, when Jon rolled down the windows and blasted Adele. 

Then a Jeep pulled into the parking space next to them.  There just so happened to be a 9- or 10-year-old boy in said Jeep.  Devyn shrunk down into her seat and promptly reached over to roll up the window.

Jon taking all of this in and noticing his baby girl notice the boy next to us, rolled the window back down.  Devyn gave him a pained look, “Daddy!”  Then scooted to the backseat where she could hide.

At this time, Hudson took Devyn’s place in the passenger seat and leaned out the window.  He waved at the boy sitting there, “Hey!  Hey!  How you doing?!” 

Jon said the exasperated, “Hudson! Stop it!” that came from the backseat made it extremely hard for him to not bust out laughing.

My poor Devyn.  Welcome to siblings and the embarrassment they cause when you least want it.  It certainly won’t be the last time they’ll make you want to hide…

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

9 comments

Write comments
Becky
AUTHOR
8:51 AM delete

I have been thinking the same thing about you guys...not that you have it all figured out or anything, but you seem to be more comfortable in your own skin as a family, ya know? Just from what I have observed, it seems like you really are settling into who you are as a family and I think it's beautiful!

Reply
avatar
Mrs. I
AUTHOR
9:04 AM delete

I love this post! The picture timeline is beautiful too.

I once read a quote years ago that is so poignant you have to really think about it for it make sense...

"No two children are born into the same family."

Your 1st comes into a family of adults only and then each child is born into an entirely different family.

xoxox

Reply
avatar
Amy...
AUTHOR
9:11 AM delete

I love it. We need to meet at Starbucks soon and share our stories ;) love you, sweet Jenn!

Reply
avatar
DeeDee
AUTHOR
11:21 AM delete

what a sweet blog...love your stories!!! :)

Reply
avatar
11:38 AM delete

Sweet blog , beautiful family :) I'm a new follower from Kelly's corner. Feel free to follow me as well :)

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
2:05 PM delete

I love your story :) You guys are such a great family. That's hilarious about Jon and Hudson with Devyn, haha!

Reply
avatar
Grace girl
AUTHOR
2:53 PM delete

Would love to get to know you better. Enjoy life as you are and remember to breathe-especially as those beautiful girls of yours venture into their teens!

Reply
avatar
MommaBird.net
AUTHOR
10:07 PM delete

Beautiful blog! And you have such a sweet family.

Stopping by from Kelly's Korner link up with other local bloggers. So glad to find another Colorado mom blogger.

Reply
avatar
4:25 PM delete

I love this!! Seeing the progression, seeing another mommy and family who just love being together, y'all are so sweet! I have so many similar things from this post on my blogging list! I love the progression of pictures! Each pic is so beautiful and happy (and that last pic is just gorgeous :))! :) If I get to do a progression post, I will link to you for the awesome idea!

Reply
avatar