A Decade

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 15 Comments A+ a-

I remember that morning like it was yesterday. You’d think I would have slept in, given the time that Father of the Bride had ended and the giggling that I shared with the sisters the night before.  But ten years ago, I woke bright-eyed and bushy tailed.  I had butterflies in my stomach, the champagne-like bubbles escaping through my giggles, and a semi-permanent grin on my face.

WeddingCollageIt was my wedding day. And at the end of it, I was going to be married to my best friend.

Fast-forward 10 years and we’re going to wake up to a much different scenario.  Jon will head out the door sometime between 5:45 and 6:15.  I’m sure he’ll place a haphazard kiss across my temple, but I won’t know for sure since I’m usually fast asleep after a late night of designing.

I won’t wake to a brunch made by Mom, complete with mimosas.  My sisters and dearest friends won’t be walking in and out of our house as we prepare to leave for the salon.  There won’t be makeup artists or hair stylists, no photographers or giggled secrets between bridesmaids.

Instead, I’ll be the one doing the serving.  Wiping sleepy eyes and dirty faces.  I’ll try to decipher what each Little wants for breakfast through the crying and shouting and arguing over who gets the orange bowl.  I’ll find clothes and shoes, and play stylist while I try to wrangle hair into some semblance of order. 

But two things will still be the same as the day of ten years ago.

I will have a semi-permanent grin on my face.  And at the end of it, I’ll still be married to my best friend.

Ten years.  I can’t begin to explain how momentous this day feels to us.  For the past two weeks, we’ve shared looks of awe and wonderment as the significance of this milestone settled into our marrow.  This one is important, we realized.  We’ve even exchanged high-fives because while we might not have done these past ten years correctly, we know we’ve done something right to be this happy, this close, this in love after ten years of marriage.

Its been a wild ride.  Its been…

  • 2 years of living with roommates, including best friends and family
  • 3 dogs
  • too many to count dog chases
  • 1 parents divorce
  • 4 pregnancies, 4 births, 4 Littles
  • 5 different places we called home
  • 14 months of living in my parents basement
  • death of 2 grandparents
  • fights and crying and making up
  • 1 thrown phone
  • 3 vehicles
  • 2 run over Stop signs (don’t ask)
  • numerous runs to the ER and Urgent Care
  • financial blunders (word of advice, don’t let 2 spenders marry)
  • numerous job/career changes
  • uncontrollable laughter
  • love
  • forgiveness
  • innumerable camping and fishing trips
  • late nights, steam showers, croupy coughs
  • harsh words and ugly threats
  • tender, sweet nothings
  • the list goes on… and on… and on.

Ten years.  It’s a milestone that we are cherishing and most definitely, celebrating.

Jonathan David, you are my best friend. The love of my life.  The man who knows me so completely, so intimately, that you anticipate my moods, my actions, my thoughts before I do.  Everything that I am is because of your love, for  I am loved better than I ever thought possible.  Thank you for loving me where I’m at, for loving me in spite of my flaws and my weaknesses!  Thank you for being eactly what I need in the moment.

Neither of us anticipated that each year would get better than the last, but it has been just that.  I can only imagine what the next ten years will hold.  As long as there are random slow dances in the kitchen, I’m good to go.  Thank you for meeting me at the end of the aisle ten years ago, for making me your wife.  This life we’ve built?  It’s a beautiful thing.  Happy anniversary, my love!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

15 comments

Write comments
Jessica
AUTHOR
10:53 PM delete

Aww, what a sweet post. Happy 10th Anniversary! I hope you have a wonderful weekend away together!

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
11:46 PM delete

Bless you, Jenn and Jon. Many more decades to come!

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
12:21 AM delete

This is so beautiful, Jen! Thank you for writing and for sharing... oh how the world needs to see godly marriages; not perfect, but part of heaven on this earth! May our Father, abundantly bless the next 10 years, as you grow in love, and enjoy all those sweet slow dances in the kitchen!

Reply
avatar
Laura
AUTHOR
8:17 AM delete

Seriously...SUCH a beautiful post! Happy 10 years!

Reply
avatar
Timmarie
AUTHOR
8:23 AM delete

Happy 10!!! Way to go!

Reply
avatar
Jillian
AUTHOR
8:34 AM delete

Such a great post!!! Love this!! Have so much fun celebrating!!

Reply
avatar
Kendra
AUTHOR
9:09 AM delete

Congratulations, you guys! Hope you have a great tIme celebrating!

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
10:21 AM delete

You gave me chills and tears in my eyes! This post is so beautifully written. Happy anniversary to y'all. So sweet!

Reply
avatar
Amanda
AUTHOR
11:44 AM delete

Congratulations on 10 years. May you be blessed with many more.

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
12:58 PM delete

So happy for you!

I love that the traditional 10 year anniversary present is tin. I think it is funny because the people who created this must have known that at 10 years of being married, with kids, you can't afford any of the "good" stuff!

Have a great trip!

Reply
avatar
Holly
AUTHOR
1:48 PM delete

Happy Anniversary!!! 10 years is so wonderful. You guys are a great role model for many others!! Hope you get to enjoy today :)

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
2:14 PM delete

Aww! Congrats on ten great years & here's to many more!

Reply
avatar
Lindsay
AUTHOR
6:55 PM delete

Congratulations! Enjoy your weekend away :)

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
10:21 AM delete

Congratulations! It is so exciting to see people who are really striving to honor the commitments that they made and still love each other so much!
Hope you are having a great weekend to celebrate :)

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
2:26 PM delete

congratulations!! 10 years is an awesome accomplishment...heres to Many Many more!!

Reply
avatar