Whoa Nelly!

Friday, March 16, 2012 1 Comments A+ a-

Son, we need to have a chat.  While I realize that you idolize your father and want nothing more than to be just like him, I can’t help but think that this growing up thing is incredibly overrated.  And while I know the growing up is inevitable, do you think we could just slow it down just a tad?  The following statements, while funny, are simply daggers to your mother’s heart. 

“Grandma!  Do you see that my beard is growing in?!” Said while stroking your sideburns and chin.

 

“Mama,” as you flexed your biceps. “Do you see my muscles?! Do you know why they’re growing?” Pause as you puffed up your chest. “Because I’m a growing man.”

 

“Mama?” you asked, as you pointed to your chest.  “What are are these?  The man parts, not the girls parts.” As I explained what pecs were, you kept peering down the front of your shirt and asked “When do you think my pecs will grow?”

 

As I finished tying your shoes, you pulled up the legs of your jeans and asked me, “Do you see it?  The hair on my legs is getting darker and longer!”

HudsonI’m not sure what’s changed in the past few months, but there has been a definite transition from preschooler to little boy.  Maybe its because you’re enjoying school so much, or it’s the magical age of five (which you are more than excited to tell everyone you know, and some you don’t know, that you’re five now) but you’re more than a little excited about growing up.  A little too much for this mama’s heart.

But between you and me, I’m so very glad that you’re not too old to cuddle.  Because as much as you want to be just like daddy, you still love crawling into my lap and stroking my hair.  I’m soaking it in while I can, Buddy, because at this rate, I don’t know how much longer those moments will continue.

Can we slow it down?  Just a little?

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

1 comments:

Write comments
5:15 AM delete

These comments are too cute! Hopefully, you'll get your mama cuddles for a long time :)

Reply
avatar