Monday Morning Mish-Mash

Monday, March 26, 2012 8 Comments A+ a-

Today’s post is brought to you by the letter M.  And a very sleep-deprived, foggy mind.  So bear with me through the randomness.

I’ve talked about my cousins on this blog before.  The best post to describe our relationship is this one.  Most don’t know their cousins from Adam, but its just not the case with us.  We were raised more like siblings than cousins and I never lacked for a brother relationship growing up, because I had them.  So that’s why when Daniel started bringing Olivia around, it made me happy.  I adore her, and just knew she was going to be the one.  And she said yes a few weeks ago. 

Daniel and OliviaThey’re planning a whirlwind of a wedding and will be saying their “I dos” within the next four months.  I’m very aware that the bride and her family tend to take center stage during the wedding planning process.  (We’ve done this four times in our family!)  So I wasn’t sure if we would get to have a part in this special time.  And I was more than ok with that!  This is their time and I was here to help if needed, I certainly didn’t want to step on any toes.  After all, emotions run a little high while planning a wedding so I decided to sit back and enjoy the ride, offering any advice IF asked, and otherwise play the quiet, supportive role.

Imagine my surprise, and delight, as I was asked to help with Save the Date cards.  Seriously.  I may have squealed.  It was such an honor to be entrusted with that piece and I was more than happy to help.  And then as we finished up that project, Daniel and Olivia surprised us again by asking our Littles to serve as their ring bearer and flower girls.  Nothing could have floored me more, and without hesitation, we agreed.  This will be Devyn and Hudson’s 5th trip down the aisle serving in that capacity, so they’re becoming quite the experts in these roles.  And Reagan’s third time.  P.S. They don’t know about this yet as the bride and groom want to ask them in person on Easter Sunday.  So if you see them between now and then, mum’s the word.

And Olivia and Daniel, thank you!  You have NO idea how much it means to us to be included.  We’re so very excited for you both and know you’re going to rock the marriage thing!

DevynPaigeSpeaking of Miss Devyn Paige.  The girl is growing up, there’s not a doubt in anyone’s mind.  Her legs seem to go on forever, and she’s growing out of her pants faster than we can buy them.  The other morning I looked over and my heart skipped a beat as I realized how fast this time is going.  She looks closer to age ten than seven, and what a beauty she is growing into.  I’m just in awe of this girl!

We’ve reached a new stage with our Devyn.  It is fast becoming apparent that she is starting to be too old for some of the activities that she once loved.  During a recent visit to The Children’s Museum, there were several times I looked over to find her bored and preferring to stand with me while watching the younger ones enjoying themselves.  I’m unsure if this is how she really feels, or if she thinks this is how she’s supposed to be feeling.  I’m sure it’s a little of both.  Regardless, this mama’s heart is breaking over the maturing process.  And entirely unsure of how to handle this next phase of growing up.

HungerGamesOn Saturday, my childhood friend, Annie, and I got a rare, much needed date alone.  With Jon’s permission, we escaped to the movie theater and saw The Hunger Games.  To say that I loved this movie would be an understatement.  In my experience, book to movie adaptations are rarely good.  In fact, often times, I find myself cringing through the entire thing.  That is not the case with The Hunger Games.  The casting… perfect!  The acting… really good!  The storyline… pretty close to accurate!  All in all, we left very pleased!  And Annie and I even rewrote the ending to the trilogy on our way home.  We like our version better.

ChurchesLast week Jon and I sent off an email that was extremely hard to write.  And while I felt peace once I hit send, there was also a sense of sadness.  After 14 years at our church, the one in which we met, started our relationship and our family, we have decided its time to find a new home church closer to home.

Every week we traveled 30-40 minutes, each way, to our church because it was home.  Jon and I had ventured out in search of a church in our early twenties but returned to that church because nothing felt like home.  Its been a long way to travel but we’ve made it work over the years, even if it did hinder how involved we were with small groups and children’s programs. 

But within the past year, it was laid on our hearts that perhaps we needed to search for something closer.  We’ve prayed, we’ve discussed, and recently I realized that at Devyn’s age, I had already met one of my childhood friends, Kamma, who was with me through the tumultuous junior high and high school years.  And we realized how important those friendships are, there when foundations are built on faith and values, friendships to carry you through the doubts, insecurities, and temptations.  We want those friendships for our Littles, but they’re hard to cultivate when you live two cities over.  Not to mention that youth group activities will be starting soon and add one or two mid-week trips, and we saw both time and gas being siphoned away.

So we bid adieu to an amazing church family, great memories, to faith building and commissioning, to sermons both encouraging and convicting.  It will always hold a special place in our hearts!  And we now look ahead to a new journey.  One where we could desperately use your prayers as we find a new church home.  Pray that we’ll be the place where our Littles will prosper, where we’ll continue to grow in our marriage and as a family, where we could be used.  I’m nervous and scared.  I’m not a big fan of change, and this one is monumental.

JonDavidAnd last, but certainly not least, a very special Happy Birthday to my man!  He celebrates 31 years today!  This is our 15th birthday celebration together and I’m not exaggerating when I say each year is better than the last.  Jonathan David, I am so very thankful for you!  You are an amazing father and husband, you are an incredible best friend, and I can’t possibly put into words how much I admire you.  I love being on this journey with you!  I have big hopes for this coming year; I know its going to be one of our best! 

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

8 comments

Write comments
Darci
AUTHOR
10:58 AM delete

I pray the very best for you guys in your search of a new church!! I'm sure that wasn't an easy decision. I've been at the same church (where I met my husband) since I was in 7th grade!

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
12:56 PM delete

Happy Birthday! He shares a birthday with my husband who turned 29 today..

Reply
avatar
1:04 PM delete

My husband and I just made the decision to leave our church for the exact same reason, and it was HARD. We loved that church, but it was 40 minutes away and our kids need to grow up in a church that they can be actively involved in. We found a church 10 minutes away from our house, and LOVE it. I'll be praying for you!

Reply
avatar
emenchho
AUTHOR
4:20 PM delete

I know exactly how you feel about your cousins...I am extremely close to mine as well. We're often confused for siblings rather than cousins. :) I hope my future children get to experience that with their cousins as well!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:06 PM delete

What a beautiful post! I'm also so excited for Daniel and Olivia and so touched that are kids were asked to be in the wedding.
I've also noticed recently how grown up Devyn seems. It's crazy.
Praying that you guys will find a good new church to call home.

Reply
avatar
7:31 AM delete

Happy Birthday to your husband and congrats to your husband and his fiancée! I will pray that you find a church closer to home that you and the Littles love. We pass by quite a few churches to attend our church, about 20 minutes away. It is so worth it! I hope you find what you are looking for!

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:56 AM delete

I'm not going to lie, Devyn growing up is breaking my heart a little bit every time I see her. I almost cried at Disney on Ice when she looked bored out of her mind.
She is getting WAY too old!

Reply
avatar
Wendy
AUTHOR
2:31 PM delete

loved "catching up" w/you today!

Reply
avatar