I’ve been here before.

Monday, March 19, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-

Its those moments when I swear I’ve been here before.  That sense of déjà vu, when I stop where I’m standing and flip through my memories trying to figure out why I’m certain this moment has already happened.  This has happened over and over again, all week long.

Case Point #1
On Wednesday of this past week, we ventured out and met some friends in Denver.  It was the first time in almost a week that Devyn’s cough had moved from “who is that mother that brings her kid’s germs around my babies” to a somewhat passable “obviously its just a cough and she’s not contagious” sound.  It was a great way to start Spring Break.

So we started at the Children’s Museum, enjoyed a picnic lunch, then moved further south where we ended up at Parks Meadows mall.  The first stop of our window shopping involved a stop into this store, where Reagan and Devyn’s eyes opened wide in amazement at display after display of dolls.  Where Aunt Alli, Uncle Brian, and I also exchanged wide eyed looks… over prices.  ($20 for a braid?!  On a doll?!  Really?)

Now I’m not about to spend that kind of money on a doll when the books have never been read.  I LOVED these books as children and desperately wanted my own American Girl doll.  And I’m sure Devyn will one day find her own doll under the Christmas tree or as a birthday gift, but only if she loves the books.  The books are half of the fun!  So we looked over the girls’ stories and when Devyn made her choice, we added Book #1 and #2 of Felicity to our book collection.

417095_10151413903745193_754505192_23463307_1626554833_nAnd when I came across this on Friday, I couldn’t help but smile.  This was me.  All the time!  I could be found cuddled up in some corner or chair, oblivious to the world around me as I devoured whatever book was in my hand.  I can’t begin to tell you how happy this makes me, watching my girl fall in love with the same books I loved as a girl.

Case Point #2
Growing up, my mom would create these special evenings that we started calling “Surprise Nights.”  She would get all four of us girls ready and loaded into the car, telling Dad to turn right here or left there, until we arrived at the first destination (or the first surprise) of the night.  From there, we would move to surprise #2, then on to surprise #3.

423694_10151397557715193_754505192_23400294_1214255991_nUsually “Surprise Nights” would entail a dinner/meal of some kind, a fun family activity like putt-putt golf or a movie, and the night would end at our local ice cream parlor.  Sometimes the nights were a little more extravagant like the times she’d take us to a dinner playhouse or the circus or one time, a Broadway play.  Even my dad, who hates surprises, would get into the night and we’d all have a blast.

On Thursday of Spring Break, Jon and I pulled into the parking lot of the theater close to the house I grew up in.  As I stepped onto the asphalt, I paused.  This was familiar to me.  So familiar in fact, that I was instantly transported in time, to the times our “Surprise Nights” would include a new movie at that same theater. 

And now here I was, years later, with my own family of six.  At the same theater.  Enjoying the latest kid movie with Littles of my own.

Case Point #3
Then tonight…  Jon and I were driving home from couples group, chatting about our friends, the study, the new studies coming, and I was suddenly struck by a strong sense of déjà vu.

14 years ago, we were also sitting in a car discussing our friends and bible study on Sunday nights after OFG, our high school youth group bible study.  14 years ago, our fingers were interlocked over the gear shift as Jon drove me back to the church parking lot to pick up my car.  14 years ago I had fallen hard over the tall, lanky boy with the beautiful eyes and great smile.

And now we’re doing it all over again.  Fingers still interlocked over the gear shift.

I love when life comes full circle like this!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
4:54 AM delete

I was a huge book worm when I was younger too. I still love to read & try to fit it in when time permits these days. I am praying that my baby girl loves to read as well. :)

Reply
avatar
Courtney
AUTHOR
7:41 AM delete

How big does Devyn look in that photo?! Make her stop!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
1:58 PM delete

This post just made me smile. :)
Those are some great moments to cherish, both your childhood memories and the memories being made now.

Reply
avatar