What Blissdom Meant to Me

Sunday, February 26, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-

It was never about the size of my audience. And I can say that without irony because I’ve been doing this blogging thing since 2005 and I have less than 300 followers here. It makes me laugh. Its never been about growing my circle of influence or to follow a formula for success. I’ve started to feel like a fish out of water these last few years because this blogging landscape has changed dramatically in a short time. I couldn’t find my niche, my place, in this new world of sponsors, stats, and ratings. I may have even gotten a bit prideful in the fact that I was still one of the few that hadn’t given in to the pressures of monetizing my blog.

Its been said that pride goeth before a fall…

This weekend gave me a fresh perspective and passion for blogging, on family, on friends, and how no matter the size of our audience, we all have a very specific story to tell.  It’s a story that no one can tell quite like you.  A story that will speak to someone’s heart or situation in just that moment, or in just the right way.

I’ve been writing and creating for as long as I can remember.  From a very early age, there’s been this desire in me to pour out all the colors, the words, the thoughts that were spinning in my head.  Even now I feel like have curse because I usually have 10 different ideas going at once.  Starting my blog in 2005 was the perfect outlet for me.  Having an almost-one-year-old, I needed a place to record my thoughts, my emotions, my story.  From the moment I hit publish on my first post, I knew exactly that blogging was going to be an amazing journey for me.  And truth be told, any negative moments in this journey has been significantly outweighed by the positives.  I don’t think I’ll ever look back and regret that I’ve put myself out there on the world wide web.

This weekend was so much more than getting to meet these women that I call friends online.  It was so much more than putting together the perfect formula to build a successful blog.  For me, it was the coming together of like minded women.  Women who have reached out into the internet space and shared their hearts.  For me, it was being in a room of women who “get” me in some way.  Whether its similar, shared experiences as a mother, or discussing colors and patterns and ideas with fellow designers, or women who love the integration of social and media.  I thoroughly loved that there was a spot for everyone.  There was so much empowerment, encouragement, and beauty in this weekend.  It was an honor to be there and I’m so very excited to see what’s born of some of these new ideas in my head.

Thank you to the ladies who brought us all together, thank you for “getting” us, and thank you for believing that we each have a story worth sharing!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Lynsey
AUTHOR
6:52 AM delete

I love this post. Thanks for sharing what you took away from Blissdom for those of us that weren't able to attend. Glad you had such a wonderful time!

Reply
avatar
7:53 AM delete

I love it. I'm glad to have gotten to know you even better and have connected in person!... Now all we need is a reunion before next year :)

-Jordan

Reply
avatar
Mandy Rose
AUTHOR
2:05 PM delete

I agree with Jordan...I don't know if I can wait until Blissdom 13 to see you again! Love ya girl!

Reply
avatar
Meghan
AUTHOR
6:00 PM delete

I couldn't agree more! I have never been about monetizing the blog or stats, etc - and this weekend made me feel so proud of what I've accomplished, despite that I am not a "big blogger"!

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
7:57 PM delete

This is a wonderful post, and you pretty much described my Blissdom experience! I'm so glad I got to meet you! I adore you, and I'm glad to call you a friend!

Reply
avatar