Surrendering

Friday, February 03, 2012 12 Comments A+ a-

I am finally raising the white flag in the fight against gray hairs.  Within the past four years or so, the white/silver hairs started making their appearance.  Fortunately, I was able to stay on top of it by plucking the annoying things.  And yes, I’m well aware of the old wives tale that for every gray hair plucked, two more grow in its place.  But I assure you, it was worth it to me.

Oh vanity. Silly, silly vanity.

Then something happened after Ashlynn was born.  Suddenly those gray hairs that I was trying to pretend didn’t exist, multiplied.  Over night.  I blame the hormones.  There is certainly NO WAY that its because of my age. 

And I continued to pluck.

But I had to face reality when Devyn tried counting the gray hairs in my part and we both lost track around 40-50.  And that, my friends, is a punch to the ol’ pride.

So here I go.  Off to the salon for my first hair color since I last dyed it an auburn color in 8th grade.  I have no idea what I’m doing and I’m asking for help.  I asked the Twitter and was told caramel or red highlights.  So that’s what I Googled and came up with a few ideas. 

HairHelp

What do you think? Do I do something fun?  Or should I stick to my natural color as much as possible?  Le sigh. Anyone want to come hold my hand next week?

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

12 comments

Write comments
Courtney
AUTHOR
5:02 AM delete

You've had the same color every day for 32 years. I vote for #2 or #4. You only live once

Reply
avatar
Jennifer
AUTHOR
7:45 AM delete

#4...I say caramel highlights. You want coverage without a lot of maintenance!

Reply
avatar
Neely
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

2 and 5!!!!

Reply
avatar
Natalie
AUTHOR
8:52 AM delete

I like 1 & 2.. or 4.

Reply
avatar
Dana Marie
AUTHOR
10:04 AM delete

#4 for sure!! doooooo it.

Reply
avatar
10:04 AM delete

I'm the oddball apparently, but I like #3!

Reply
avatar
Taylor
AUTHOR
3:29 PM delete

I like #2 or #4!!! Go for it girl!!

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
3:40 PM delete

I'm coming across the same problem.. Already.. Now, I haven't found 40, but enough plucking to make me ready to dye. I've been contemplating #5 for myself, but it seems to wash me out when I'm pale. I'm not sure what color your hair is naturally.. But close to your natural and some highlights might be good to start?

Reply
avatar
Ali Thompson
AUTHOR
8:06 PM delete

Not a popular choice so far but I really like #1 the best.

Reply
avatar
Ali Thompson
AUTHOR
8:07 PM delete

The roots grow out SOOO fast, so I think sticking to your natural color will help unless you want to get it redone every couple of weeks.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
8:39 PM delete

First of all, LOVE the new blog design! One of my favorites for sure. Call me crazy, but I liked #1 and #4 best. I agree that you should stick close to your natural and add just a few highlights of color so maintenance doesn't cost a fortune. I'm excited to see it once it's done. :)

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
12:43 PM delete

I like #2! And I love your new header too! BTW, my hair was way gray years ago but I just started coloring it about 6 months ago. I keep it close to my natural color, just richer. :)

Reply
avatar