The Laptop Saga That Won’t End

Saturday, February 04, 2012 6 Comments A+ a-

My laptop has been acting funny the past month or so.  Its as though it has a mind of its own and will update things when I say not to update them, it’ll shut down files that I’m working in, the wireless will stop working for no apparent reason, then start up again.  Just being a general pain in the rear. 

My favorite part of my laptop dying?  The fact that it no longer charges and only works when plugged in.  I cannot begin to count the number of times I was mid-design and one of the Littles accidently bumped it just right for the power connection to break.  Thus resulting in my completely losing all of my work.  It became a nightly ritual to hear Mama scream in utter frustration at the lost work.  Not the Littles fault by any stretch of the imagination, but frustrating nevertheless.  So we knew a laptop purchase was in our very near purchase and I’ve been saving up for it.

However, our purchase was pushed up a few weeks when my current laptop stopped reading my external hard drive.  The hard drive that has ALL OF MY DESIGNS AND PROGRAMS on it.  I died.  At least a thousand deaths as I envisioned all of that work just *poof* gone.  (Think Monica from Friends when they lose the apartment to Joey and Chandler. Nooooooooooo!  And yes, I’m aware this blog has a lot of references to Friends.) Then that same laptop refused to access the internet for the rest of the night.

I took a deep breath and went to sleep.  The next morning I plugged in the external hard drive into my parents computer and you wouldn’t believe the sigh of relief that escaped my lips when all the files showed up.  I believe there may have been a happy dance involved.  One crises averted.

I placed the order for my new laptop, the one I’d finally chosen after weeks of research (thank you to all the cousins, friends, and internet people for helping me out) and selected 2-day shipping.  This was placed on Wednesday, 2-day shipping ensured I’d have it by Friday.  Just in time to spend all weekend getting caught up on designs.  Perfect.  I hit complete and drummed my fingers against the laptop that would sometimes allow me to get on the internet, sometimes not, and stalked the UPS website for delivery details from my phone.

Thursday night a snowstorm hit this state.  It was a blizzard in some areas and I’d resigned myself to the idea that it might be delayed.  However, when I saw that the laptop had been scanned in Denver early on Friday morning, I relaxed a little.  Surely, I’d receive the laptop as planned, for Denver was only an hour and a half away. 

I spent all of Friday glancing out the front window, wondering when the brown truck was going to pull in front of my house.  I had daydreams about taking out the laptop, shiny and new, and playing around with my new best friend. 

At one point I saw a brown truck drive past without stopping.  It toyed with my emotions greatly.

Around 8:00pm, I knew my laptop wasn’t being delivered.  Despite being scanned in DENVER (Did I mention its only an hour and a half away?  Or that I could’ve driven there and back at least 4 times that day?!) and requesting 2-day shipping FOR A REASON, my laptop wasn’t coming as promised. 

I called the 1-800 number and spoke with a very nice girl on the other end.  I was nice and sweet, asking for a status on my order and wanting to know when I should expect my laptop to arrive.   I was calm, cool, and collected until she said that it wouldn’t be here until Monday.

Monday.

That is most definitely waaaaaay past the 2-day delivery I’d chosen. 

Now I’m a reasonable person.  Really, for the most part I am.  I get that things come up like snowstorms and mechanical failures.  Hey, life happens.  I get that.  But unfortunately the lady didn’t know that she was dealing with a crazy woman who hadn’t been able to work since Tuesday night and was now five (5!) designs behind schedule. 

I explained that it was unacceptable.  That while I understood a delay, a 3-day delay on a 2-day delivery was unacceptable.  And that’s how I found myself talking to a call center supervisor who assured me he'd find out what they could do and call me back.

I ranted and raved to Jon while waiting for that call.  For the most part, Jon was wise in keeping his mouth shut while I breathed fire over the situation.

The supervisor called back, gave me the number of the local UPS sorting facility and assured me.  “Ma’am, call this number in the morning.  They’re going to do their best to get your laptop on a Saturday delivery truck.  And worst case scenario, they’ll have it ready so you can come pick it up yourself.”

Great. Awesome.  I appreciated the solid effort.  It wasn’t Friday, but I could handle Saturday.

This morning, I called as soon as I woke up.

No answer.

I tried again an hour later.

No answer.

I tried every half hour for the next two hours.

No answer.

I almost dropped the phone when they finally answered.  They had NO idea what I was talking about.  And I knew. Right then.  I’m not getting my laptop until Monday.

That is just awesome.

I listened as the manager of the local facility promised to look around and get more information.  And would call me back as soon as he knew more.

I will give him credit.  He did call me back.  But it was only to say that they couldn’t find my laptop at their facility, which means its on a truck to be delivered to their site on Monday morning. 

“I’m so sorry, ma’am. I wish I had better news for you.  Why don’t you call this number and they’ll give you a full refund on your shipping costs.” Uh, yeah they will.

I thought I’d be mad or upset, but I was very much just resigned by this point.  Or perhaps I got rid of all my mad last night.  Who knows? 

It doesn’t matter.  There’s no new laptop until Monday.

At which point, I will be very, very behind on designs and will be a crazy woman until I’m caught up.  I’m very thankful for patient and understanding clients (THANK YOU!), a sympathetic husband, and a laptop, albeit a finicky laptop, that actually let me get online tonight.

And so goes the saga of the laptop. May it finally end on Monday.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

6 comments

Write comments
Diana
AUTHOR
10:35 PM delete

Jenn, I understand some of your frustration! I am waiting on a laptop charger. My charger was acting up since this summer and finally started making scary noises and died. (Fire hazard!) I choose next day air and that was Wed. I still don't have it! Mine shows that it isn't supposed to be delivered until Tuesday!!

Reply
avatar
Shellsea
AUTHOR
10:50 PM delete

Oh Jenn! That is awful on their part. Definitely get that shipping refund.

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:14 PM delete

Ugh. That is so frustrating. I would definitely ask for the shipping refund. Tomorrow you should be holding your brand new baby, I mean, laptop. :)

Reply
avatar
9:16 PM delete

Ugh, that is so frustrating! I hope the new one gets here soon!

Reply
avatar
Sonya
AUTHOR
8:31 AM delete

Oh man!! I hope for everyone's sake that laptop shows up VERY EARLY today!!!

Reply
avatar
Heather
AUTHOR
2:44 PM delete

Hi i’m Heather! I have a question for you! Please email me :)
HeatherVonSJ[at]gmail[dot]com

Reply
avatar