He’s Five Now

Thursday, February 16, 2012 5 Comments A+ a-

He woke up yesterday, rubbed his bleary eyes, and tried to make out the Happy Birthday banner strung across our mantle.  Then as realization dawned, he got the biggest, proudest smile on his face, and puffed out his chest.

“I’m five now!”

Hudson1We all said our happy birthdays and gave him high fives.  He was both embarrassed and proud of all of the attention.  You could see it in his eyes.  Those 10 hours of sleep had turned him from a preschooler into a big kid. It was evident in the way he walked, adding a little bounce to his step.  It was apparent in the way he announced it to anyone that would listen.

“I’m five now!”

Hudson2Everyone says that time flies, that it goes faster with each year.  As a teenager you roll your eyes, certain its either an exaggeration or that the adult can’t possible understand just how very slow time is actually going.  Its such an overused saying. 

Until you wake up one day and realize its true.

It truly seems like I just gave birth to that beautiful baby boy just last year.  The way we rushed from the doctor’s office to the hospital, the way I frantically called Jon’s boss and told him to find Jon NOW.  The way I hadn’t bothered to grab my hospital bag because I was in such denial that I’d go into labor on my own.

BabyHudsonThey laid him in my arms and he’s held my heart ever since, that boy of mine.  Five years. I can’t wrap my head around the fact that he’s had my heart for five years.

Yes, my son, you’re five years old now.  And we’re having an absolute blast with you!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

5 comments

Write comments
Sonya
AUTHOR
6:27 PM delete

Beautiful post. Made me teary eyed! Happy birthday 5 year old.

Reply
avatar
TaraR
AUTHOR
8:55 PM delete

Awww what a sweet post! Happy Birthday to your little man :)

Reply
avatar
5:38 PM delete

How sweet! Happy birthday to Hudson!!

Reply
avatar
Ashley
AUTHOR
8:09 PM delete

What a sweet post! He is such a precious 5 year old! And how about that baby picture. Holy cow, he was a beautiful baby!

Reply
avatar
Christine
AUTHOR
9:34 PM delete

Great post. I can't believe he's 5 either. I remember his "birth"day so clearly. Feels like yesterday. Happy Birthday little man.

Reply
avatar