Girls Are Peculiar Creatures

Monday, February 13, 2012 3 Comments A+ a-

I feel like a disclaimer should be here.  There is nothing deep or inspirational in this post.  There is not one ounce of wisdom to glean from this post.  In fact, its just me… blathering on like an idiot.  Without a filter.  You’ve been warned.

I've gone a little crazy...*This is not me. Just a very accurate picture of how I’m feeling at the moment.

If I ever had any doubts as to just how peculiar females are, this Blissdom trip has absolutely confirmed everything I’ve feared about being a girl.  Lets discuss just how crazy I’ve gotten in preparation for this trip…

  • I’ve colored my hair for the first time in 18 years.  Both out of necessity (grays were out of control) and because I was not showing up with all that gray.
  • I’ve been practicing new makeup techniques.  All of which were a major bust.
  • I’ve been on the hunt for the perfect new lip color.  As of now, I am 1 for 4.  And wouldn’t you know it, my favorite is the cheapest one.  (Now Jon, let’s just forget about the other three I bought that have now found a home in the girls play makeup. M’kay? I love you.)
  • Ever since I bought my Blissdom ticket in December, any money spent on clothes has been with the sole purpose of wearing it in Nashville.
  • New perfume. Check.
  • Whitened teeth. Check.
  • New undergarments. Check.  (Now, in my defense, I’ve recently almost-weaned Ashlynn, so this was a necessity.  In a major way.)
  • I did draw the line at getting some, um, hmmmm, enhancements.  Even though I’m in desperate need of some help since nursing 4 children, this really isn’t the place to try out something so new.  (You’re welcome for the TMI. My apologies.)
  • Despite the new clothes I’d bought and received as Christmas gifts, I decided my wardrobe still needed help. So I enlisted the help of my sister and we went shopping in her closet.  (Truth be told, I had more fun in her closet than any of the stores.)

So now that I’ve disclosed just how insane I’ve gotten over this whole trip, and you’re all reading with your mouth agape, let me explain why I know females are peculiar creatures.

Now that I’ve won the love and devotion of my husband (maybe he still loves me, I’m not so sure after he reads this post), I no longer get dressed to impress any men.  I don’t need to.  Jon assures me constantly that he thinks I’m beautiful and that he finds me attractive.  Jeans, t-shirts, baby spit-up on the shoulder, and all.  Seriously.  I really have no doubts the man is crazy about me.  He’s good like that.

But as my sisters and I’ve discussed before… I feel like I dress to impress other women.  Its ridiculous. I KNOW THAT.  But knowing something and believing it, are two different things. 

And?

I really don’t believe the women who are going to this conference will be critiquing my outfit choices to the minute detail (well, some might because, lets be honest, there are a few of those), but I still worry.  Even though I know most of the women there are like me, and will be too busy wondering what other people think of my outfit to notice whose wearing what.  But I’m still freaking out. 

Because the truth of the matter is this.  The female mind is a peculiar creature.  We’re each other’s biggest supporters and harshest critics, all rolled into one.  Because even though I know it doesn’t matter, shouldn’t matter, in our heads, it does.

Plus.  This is the first time I’ve had a reason to look nice since quitting the workforce almost two years ago.  It was a bit of culture shock to go from having my hair did, makeup on, and cute outfit ready to get out the door by 7:45am every day, to knowing that no one will notice that I’m still wearing the yoga pants from two days ago.  My Littles definitely don’t notice things like that, they just want me to entertain them and keep their tummies full.  So I’m taking FULL ADVANTAGE of having the opportunity to wear cute clothes.

And for those going to Blissdom.  You should be fairly warned that I don’t look like this at home.  Here, I’m lucky if I get to brush my teeth by 10:00am.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

3 comments

Write comments
Ashley
AUTHOR
7:12 PM delete

This post made me giggle just a little :) I think we are all a little bit nervous and we all want to look great. I've been going through my closet tonight trying to find the perfect things to wear, and I will probably still change my mind several times before we go! It's so hard!

Reply
avatar
Jillian
AUTHOR
2:38 PM delete

This post is making me want to go so bad!!!

Reply
avatar
ms.composure
AUTHOR
1:10 PM delete

Stumbled onto your blog and just wanted to show yous some blog luv! def enjoyed this post :)


http://infinitelifefintess.com
http://mscomposure.blogspot.com

Reply
avatar