Its tricky being a Christian these days.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012 14 Comments A+ a-

I don’t have answers for everything. There are so many issues facing us as individual Christians and the Christian church in this day and age, and I can’t say with 100% certainty that I KNOW what God’s stance would be on every issue. Some are crystal clear, some are murky. I just don’t know.
But I do know these things to be true:
  • The Bible is the living, breathing Word of God. It is God-breathed, Holy Spirit inspired, and His merciful gift to us.
  • That God is the same today, as He was yesterday, and will be tomorrow. The God of Abraham is the same God of today. He is unchanging.
  • And because of that, God, like His word, is unable to evolve. God IS Love. He is PERFECT Love. Therefore He is incapable of evolving into more love. There is no room for God to love us any more than He already does.
  • A lot of sins, including the very first sin, started because the question was asked.  “Did God REALLY say that? Did He REALLY mean you can’t do that?” So when those questions start getting thrown around, I want to duck and cover.
Like I said, I don’t have all the answers. And seeing as how I’m human and God’s God, I’m not supposed to have all the answers. I do know that with my limited, finite vocabulary, I am unable to explain an infinite God, His ways, or interpret His laws.
“In Essentials, unity; in non-essentials, liberty; in all things, charity.”
credited to St. Augustine.
PS  I’ll be back later tonight with my thoughts on Chapter 7 of the Sacred Marriage study.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

14 comments

Write comments
Jillian
AUTHOR
5:42 PM delete

What a great post!!!

Reply
avatar
6:06 PM delete

Needed to read this - thank you ....... :)

Reply
avatar
Mindy
AUTHOR
6:48 PM delete

Thank you! What a great response.

Reply
avatar
Mary
AUTHOR
8:30 PM delete

I think another question that makes me duck and cover is "Is God holding out on me?" I mean in essence, that's what Eve was saying when she decided to eat the fruit.

He is.

That's all.

Good thoughts, friend.

Reply
avatar
Elizabeth
AUTHOR
6:29 AM delete

Just started reading your blog. And what a great post to start! My new favorite song these days is "God is Still God."

Reply
avatar
6:05 PM delete

Great post, Jenn! No one has all the answers, but we all need to do our best!

Reply
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
10:58 PM delete This comment has been removed by the author.
avatar
~Sue
AUTHOR
11:32 AM delete

Thanks you for (maybe) getting the gist of my now deleted "typo-ed" comment!

Good "out loud" thinking, Jenn!

Sometimes I'm fine with my silly errors--this time I felt like making the correction :)

Reply
avatar
12:03 PM delete

This is about Momastery isn't it? So are you saying that if one of your children told you they were gay, you wouldn't support them? Shame on you.

Reply
avatar
12:42 PM delete

Dear Anonymous,

I'm sorry that you walked away with a wrong impression, especially since I didn't even discuss homosexuality in the post. And I refuse to address it here too. For two reasons. One, I highly doubt either of us will convince the other that our belief is right. And two, you obviously do not know me in real life, as this question wouldn't even need to be asked. The very idea that we wouldn't love, support, and encourage our children (no matter what) is utterly ridiculous.

I was merely stating that to interpret the Bible to suit your beliefs is very dangerous ground to walk on. To insinuate that God is anything but what the Bible says He is, is wrong. We serve a loving, holy, and righteous God. An unchanging God. And that, my friend, was the point of my post.

Reply
avatar
Shan Kat
AUTHOR
2:26 PM delete

So, true, Jenn. So true. The greatest fallacy we seem to encounter in today's culture is the idea of the Build-a-god workshop. As if what we think or feel can change the very essence of an infinite Being according to our own limited understanding of the very universe he built, atom by atom. "And in thinking themselves wise, they became fools."

Reply
avatar
7:36 PM delete

The Bible says ladies should have their head covered. And in Deuteronomy, a marriage is only valid if the woman is a virgin, and should be executed if she is not… and that anyone who commits adultery should be stoned to death. In Mark, divorce is prohibited. I assume for homosexuality, you’re referring to Leviticus 18:6: “You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female. It is an abomination.” A similar verse occurs two chapters later, in Leviticus 20:13: “A man who sleeps with another man is an abomination and should be executed.” Leviticus is a holiness code written 3,000 years ago. It also includes prohibitions against round haircuts, tattoos, working on the Sabbath, wearing garments of mixed fabrics, eating pork or shellfish, getting your fortune told, and even playing with the skin of a pig. (There goes football!) I believe in morality, which is doing right regardless of what I am told.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Christian but you telling me that the Bible is word for word the absolute truth is what is utterly ridiculous. Times have changed my friend and try to prove me otherwise.

Reply
avatar
9:41 PM delete

Anonymous,

As I stated earlier, I won't get into this discussion here. And I'm asking a 2nd time that you respect my wish since this is my space.

I am more than willing to discuss this issue with you via private email. My email link is on the site. But seeing as how you've gone to great lengths to post anonymously when I don't allow anonymous comments, I'm guessing that won't happen.

I'm now closing the comments on this post. Thank you.

Reply
avatar
New comments are not allowed.