With Gratitude

Thursday, November 24, 2011 2 Comments A+ a-

Its Thanksgiving. And while I may have been celebrating Christmas for almost a month, this is truly one of my favorite holidays. A time to stop, reflect, cherish, give thanks, and, of course, eat. It seems that its the antithesis of the holiday coming up... appreciating what already is, instead of creating lists for what is wanted.

And reflecting, cherishing, and giving thanks is what I'm doing today. For the big and the small.

...for the toys that litter our living, that sit under the covers on our bed, that are tripped over in the middle of the night. Small reminders that we have Littles to enjoy them and the means to provide them.

...for the cabinets that need washing, dusting, and rearranging... for the fridge that still works despite constant opening and closing. Proof that food once filled them and tummies were content.

...for the sound of crying, fighting, and making up. For the opportunity to practice forgiveness and instill teachable moments.

...for noise, chaos, and running. Sounds that aren't heard when fevers are spiking and coughs are hacking. Healthy Littles equals noisy Littles.

...for parents that are unwavering in their support and love.

...for sisters that can pick up on the slightest nuances and be armed with Starbucks and a listening ear.

...for family, both immediate and extended. Whose idiosyncrasies and craziness can be annoying and cute at the same time.

...for a husband that continues to love me through bad decisions and bad attitudes; who's willing to offer grace quickly.

...for Littles who stretch me and teach me. For the fullness they bring to my life.

...for health, for love, for full cupboards, for friends, for fireplaces and blankets... For coffee and honey butter spread... For good music, dancing parties, and wrestling matches... For friends, old and new.

...for a Lord that offers a fresh start every morning. A Lord that is never satisfied with the status quo and will bring whatever lesson is needed to move me beyond myself. A Lord that promises to be anything I will ever need.

Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

2 comments

Write comments
Christine
AUTHOR
9:48 PM delete

I really liked the line you wrote about being thankful for what already is, instead of making lists for what is wanted. So true.
We had a great day today but I missed you guys.
I love your list. Beautiful post.

Reply
avatar
Michelle
AUTHOR
1:54 PM delete

OMG I totally highlighted this line too:
appreciating what already is, instead of creating lists for what is wanted.

Christine and I must think the same! Love that line Jenn!

Good luck with all that you have in the month of Dec! Sounds like your plate is extra full!

Reply
avatar