What a Week, Ashlynn Update

Friday, November 04, 2011 15 Comments A+ a-

Just a warning, I have a couple of pictures in here.  And they do look pretty gruesome.  So if you’re a queasy one, I don’t suggest continuing.

This has been a hard week, probably one of the most emotional weeks I’ve had as a mother.  While my head completely understands that this wasn’t my fault, my heart is having a harder time comprehending it.  And every time we went in for a dressing change, it was a plummet straight into the pit of guilt. 

During the day, you’d never know that Ashlynn had such a severe burn.  I’m sure that staying busy and playing with her brother and sisters kept her mind off her hand.  We were able to maintain her pain with alternating doses of infants’ tylenol and ibuprufon.  However, that first night was another story and she woke up whimpering and crying about 5-6 times.  It broke my heart.  And we got very little sleep that night.

At her dressing change the next day, the doctor prescribed us something stronger for nighttime and that made all the difference in the world!  I only give it to her at night, and right before a dressing change, otherwise she doesn’t need it. 

Thankfully I was warned that the first 24-48 hours after a burn was when her hand would look the worst.  And yet, even though I knew this, I was still unprepared for her dressing changes.  The 2nd day wasn’t too bad, the only difference being that the blister had doubled in size from the day before.  I wish I’d gotten a picture of just how big it got because I couldn’t believe something could be that size without popping. 

But it was Thursday’s dressing change that destroyed me.  I really think that dressing change traumatized me more than the actual burn.  It was pretty clear as we got to the bottom layers of her dressing that the blister had popped on its own.  The gauze was soaked through.  I was horrified when it was completely unwrapped and I laid eyes on it for the first time. 
Lightbox_1320464361480
48 hours after the burn, the main blister popped on its own.  You can see some of the blisters on the pads of her fingers in this picture.
And if that wasn’t bad enough, I had to help hold her arm down while the doctor cut away the dead skin.  It was seeing the angry, red, raw skin underneath that had me in tears.  Even the doctor and nurse had to ask me several times if I was ok.  No, no, I was not.  This was my baby’s hand that looked like something out of a horror movie.  (I’m still in shock that my baby is going through something like this.)

I drowned my sorrows in ChicFilA fries and fry sauce, while crying to Mom over the phone in the parking lot.  Yeah.  Thursday sucked.

Today’s dressing was hard, but the doctor is greatly encouraged by her progress.  The skin and blister is looking just as it should, and they’ve now turned over dressing changes to me.  Yay me.  (Heavy on the sarcasm there.)  And while it looks 10x better today, I think it bothered her more today.  She was extra whiney and fussy, even trying to scratch at it with her left hand.  At one point, she even brought it up to her mouth and tried gnawing on it.  Poor girl.
Lightbox_1320464582687
72 hours after the burn.  This is still disgusting but a huge improvement in just 24 hours.  Do you see the blister on her thumb? Sigh. It breaks my heart.
Over all, if she wasn’t wearing her white dressing, I’d never know what lied beneath.  She is a very resilient little thing.  She’s learned how to protect that hand like a pro.  If she loses her balance, she falls with her palm up.  If she’s brushing past furniture, she lifts her arm high.  If a brother or sister gets too close to her, she’ll cradle her arm closer to her chest.  Really.  Its quite amazing.

The doctors have said it should be completely healed in 2 weeks, with very red skin for several months.  All I know is that I’m ready for this week to be over.

I’m a coffee drinking, book reading, laundry procrastinating, husband and children loving, mess of a woman who believes that chips and salsa can fix anything. We have chickens running around the backyard, a mountain of dishes in the sink, and on any given morning, I have at least 10 school forms that need my signature or initials. It’s a crazy life {I prefer to call it controlled chaos}, but its ours.

15 comments

Write comments
Kendra
AUTHOR
6:15 AM delete

My heart goes out to you, Jenn! While looking at the pictures, it reminded me that I had burns like that on both of my hands when I was about a year old. (I put my hands on an aluminum cellar cover that was in the hot sun) My parents have told me stories of holding the bottle with my feet, and even turning pages of books, but I don't remember any of it. If anything, I liked hearing those stories growing up because it reminded me how resilient I was and helped me through other tough times! :) Hope the healing continues well and that your heart heals quickly too. Take care.

Reply
avatar
Camille
AUTHOR
6:28 AM delete

Y'know, this happened to me when I was a bit older than her-- I was ironing clothes (yes I was a strange kid) and I dropped the iron but without thinking I caught it midair and it burned me probably the same way. I didn't go to the hospital and I put Neosporin on it and put like 20 billion bandaids on it. A few months later, I had very slight scarring, and a few months after that, you couldn't even tell it happened. She's going to be a-okay, promise, and she probably won't even remember how much of an owwie that was (I sure don't). :) I hope this all flies by for you! Big hugs to you and your kiddo. :)

Reply
avatar
Momof4Girls
AUTHOR
6:36 AM delete

I'm so sorry that Ashlynn is going through this Jenn. =( Our poor little baby!! I am praying for her pain and for complete healing of her hand. And for healing for Mommy's heart. =) I know it's hard to see your child go through something so painful. Hang in there, hon.
I love you,
Mom

Reply
avatar
8:42 AM delete

You are such a rockstar for handling this so well. She looks like she's healing up great. Thinking of ya'll!

Reply
avatar
Kim H.
AUTHOR
8:43 AM delete

Poor baby, but for all that she has gone through - I know that it's likely harder on you. Once the consoling is over - I'm still heartbroken and usually feeling guilty for what I could have done to prevent my boys from getting hurt. Hugs to you Momma. It sounds like the news is encouraging with the healing going so well - and everything will be okay. :-) Hold on to that - it could be a LOT worse. <3

Reply
avatar
Becca
AUTHOR
9:35 AM delete

In just a few weeks time, she'll be back to normal. It be as if this never happened.

Keeping you and Ashlynn in my prayers.

Reply
avatar
Lindsey
AUTHOR
10:51 AM delete

A boy that I baby-sat for burned both of his hands at the age of 2. He was walking down a hill and his dad was burning some leaves. He got going too fast and caught himself from falling in the fire. Both hands were wrapped up and they had to do to the dressing changes as well. Today he is 18 and his hands look just fine. No scarring, etc. While the healing part takes the longest, she won't even remember this, which is a good thing. Stay strong!

Reply
avatar
Amber
AUTHOR
2:01 PM delete

I know it seems bad, and you feel horrible, but she won't remember this at all Mama, and its why it's called an accident. They happen, especially with Littles.
Try and have a good weekend!!

Reply
avatar
7:01 PM delete

Sweet Jenn, she is a resilient one you and you are a tough strong momma for support. I hope it heals faster than ever, poor thing!

Reply
avatar
Sherry
AUTHOR
11:08 PM delete

Oh man! Bless your heart and your sweet girl's! Unfortunately, too many of us can relate. My little man when he was one (now three) pulled a thing of hot wax down off a counter and burnt his 3/4 of his back. I could see it coming but couldn't get to him fast enough. Since he was so little and so much of his back was affected, we took him straight to the ER. They cleaned it, treated it and wrapped it up. I hated every second of that. Made me feel so awful. However, two years later, we can barely see a scar. Hope she heals up quick!

Reply
avatar
Amy Silver
AUTHOR
7:07 AM delete

Gosh, this just breaks my heart! I can just feel how upset you must be.. Soon, it will just be a distant, distant memory. Well, for you, she won't even remember! You are such a wonderful mom, even us bloggers, who don't exactly "know" you all that well, can tell! "This too shall pass" :)

Reply
avatar
Meredith
AUTHOR
8:13 AM delete

Praying for yall!!! Bless her heart!!!

Reply
avatar
Jen
AUTHOR
9:34 AM delete

My heart goes out to you. I'm praying for ya! I burned myself on my stomach like this while I was pregnant. Just know that it looks worse than it feels at this point.

Reply
avatar
Sheri
AUTHOR
12:54 AM delete

Oh Jenn, I just prayed for your precious Ashlynn. I'm so sorry this happened. And, like so many have shared, I had a similar experience when my now 5-years-old, was 13 months. I was cooking, while holding her and although I turned off the burners, they were still hot. In a split second she reached out her tiny hand and burned her palm. The nurses and doctor at the emergency room were wonderful and it did only take a few weeks to heal. There isn't even a scar! HE is able! So much more than able!

Lots of Thanksgiving Hugs to you, my friend!

Reply
avatar
Kathy
AUTHOR
7:42 AM delete

OMG! POOR MUCHKIN!!! i hope she heals quick. it's so heartbreaking when your little ones are hurt :(

Reply
avatar